1uz fe serpentine belt

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Capricraig, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Capricraig

Capricraig New Member

Is it possible to run a 1uz fe without the pas pump and with out the air con pump as I have a manual rack and won't need either of the pumps or the pulleys. the belt looks like it'll run with the ribs on the flat of the water pump and the tensioner looks like it'll do bugger all to help tension things. Just wondered what other people have done if they did away with either or both of the pumps and pulleys.
    thanks, Craig

2. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

It is but you will still need a tensioner or idler of some sort, as it will slip and won't work well if you just have a belt round the crank pulley and alternator. I've got the same setup on mine but it has a custom idler bracket. Can get you a pic if ya want, let me know.

3. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

I bought a kit from Thor Motorsports. Which basically allowed me to get rid of everything apart from the Alternator and main pully.

I chose to keep the power steering as mine is a circuit racer and even stripped bare the soarer is a heavy old beast!

But you could lose it with a shorter belt.

Kit wasn't cheap , but its a neat solution.

I promise I will upload some pics on my new build thread at some point !

4. jcoupe

jcoupe Member

i used a strech belt on mine works a1,, i will see if i can get the size tomorrow

5. Capricraig

Capricraig New Member

Thanks for the ideas. It seems it possible then. I'd be very interested in the 'kits' mentioned if anyone has any links or company's they got them from? I take it the kit has a different water pump pulley as well as a tensioner? May be me being daft but what's a stretch belt? Never heard of one, lol. Like I said in my first post, all I want is the water pump and alternator to run off the bottom pulley as I run a manual rack and have no intention of fitting a power rack so if anyone has pics of this setup would be awesome.
    Thanks, Craig

6. jcoupe

jcoupe Member

water pump runs off the timing belt! so its only alternator , a stretch belt is as it says it has slight stretch so you get slightly smaller size stretch it on and it stays tensioned itself

7. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Unfortunately Thor, who made the kits Trickys and I have, are no longer in business. Stretch belt sounds like a good, cheap option.

8. Capricraig

Capricraig New Member

Ahhh, brilliant. Sounds like a cheap and effective option to me. Also didn't know the water pump was timing belt driven, very handy to know. Thanks for the info everyone, will be after a stretch belt by the sound of things. Any idea on size and where to get one from?
    Thanks, Craig