52 duel mass fly wheel

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by spaniel, Sep 19, 2015.

1. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

Title should say m52

Last time I was out I noticed when I lift the clutch off the biting point i was getting a clunking noise from the gearbox area, also people where saying the could smell clutch, the outer 20mm of the pressure plate does look slightly burnt.

I took the gearbox off earlier expecting to find the clutch or flywheel loose, instead I have noticed the 2 parts of the flywheel have about 2" of play in them, the side fixed to the engine stays still and the other side will twist, I take I its not meant to do this? I haven't really noticed before but cant see what else it can be.

2. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

There is meant to be some movement but I think 2" might be classed as to much.
    Also there shoudn't be any in and out movement, as if youre trying to wobble the outter part, if you get what I mean.

3. spaniel

There is no wobble but alot of slack, its the only thing I can think of that can be making that noise, was gonna go for a single mass flywheel but just fitted a new clutch so don't really wanna have to change that as well.

Looks like I will just have to fit another duel mass.

4. spaniel

5. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Ye what he has in the video seems about right, id say anymore movement and its gone

6. spaniel

Got the flywheel off properly and there was loads of play, I have fitted another one but still get that clinking noise when holding the foot brake and lifting the clutch, although it is not as bad as before.
    I don't have access to ramps and it is difficult to get it off the ground high enough to safely get underneath and listen for the sound. Has anyone else experienced tho or got any ideas?

7. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Was it a new dual mass that you fitted?
    Is the only thing you've changed the dual mass?
    Did you check the clutch fork for cracks and the ball it sits on for wear when it was all apart?

8. spaniel

Nope I could only afford second hand, all look fine though only had a bit of movement.

As for the fork, no I didn't know to check that, will have a look next time as I'm sure the gearbox will be off again soon

I have got the engine and gearbox on hockey puck mounts so don't know if this is causing an issue? Or for some reason making I sound worse than it is.