e36 328i starting issue

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Shortie92, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Shortie92

Shortie92 New Member

Hi, Im new to posting on this forum so apologies if I have done anything wrong already.

I have a e36 328is beater and it randomly will turn over but not start. Leave it some times a minute some times 3 hours and will fire up straight away. This is a completely random problem as it could happen If iv just come off the track or if its been sitting parked up for weeks.

Iv replaced the crank sensor to rule that common problem and also ran the fuel pump from a switch to see if it was rail pressure/pump relays but still no cigar.
    I cant check to see if its getting s spark as by the time I whip the plugs out it will have probably decided to behave and want to fire up.

Things im going to try will be a compression test and swapping the ecu and chip with a mates to see if ews is the problem.

Anyone had trouble like this before? Any help is very much appreciated.

Lewis

2. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Possibly ECU related like you've said, I deffinatly know that M50's suffer with ECU problems, maybe the same for M52?

3. Shortie92

Shortie92 New Member

What is it that happens with the ecu from the m50? Ill swap them hopefully tomorrow and report back

4. IFixCarsBruh97

IFixCarsBruh97 New Member

It might be a starter wiring fault, maby a bad earth connection ? Or a faulty ignition switch. Wouldn't be a faulty starter as like you said it does turn over. I would suggest getting a wiring diagram and checking voltage feeds to the starter with ignition on and whist cranking, if there isn't a feed a certain times work you way back on the wiring diagram till you find the fault :D But it does sound like a faulty earth.

5. Shortie92

Shortie92 New Member

It was the ecu at fault.
    Swapped in a remapped ecu with ews delete and the fault no longer occurs.
    Cheers for the help