R32 RB20 Engine Oil Overfill

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by xTommy92, Oct 9, 2015.

1. xTommy92

xTommy92 Member

Hi Guys,
    Just topped my engine oil up this morning and ended up going about an inch over the "H" mark on the dipstick.
    I have drove it today and the OEM oil pressure gauge in the dash has shown normal readings. Is this a problem as the car does get hard use as well.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. Tyrone101

Tyrone101 Member

Can you not simply drain off the excess oil from the sump? Bucket - trolley jack and carefully drop some oil.

If the oil level is too high, it contacts moving parts in such a manner as air is mixed into it. The result is air pockets in oil galleries, and less liquid oil to cool parts such as piston skirts. The "foam" also sticks in place and doesn't drain back to the pan, and insulates parts from normal heat transfer.

Although saying that - I dont think you will cause harm catching it early. An inch is alot on a dipstick so get it drained.... And remember you wont get true readings on a dipstick until the engine cools down and all of the oil drips into the sump.

3. xTommy92

xTommy92 Member

Yeah man, can always just open the sump plug and let a little out to be honest. Just curious really as some guys say that overfilling their engines has benefits.

4. Tyrone101

Tyrone101 Member

Unless they have evidence to suggest that - I would take a Nissan engineer over ' some guys ' - RB's are some of the best engineered engines in the world. I would take a further step in saying - While you are draining - to change your oil and filter aswell... ' Oil and filter cheaper than labour '.

5. xTommy92

xTommy92 Member

Its just been changed mate, brand new K&N filter and Motul 300V oil. ;)

6. xTommy92

xTommy92 Member

I was just being a tit and thought I needed a little extra and overfilled hahaha