Soarer 1uz manual conversion

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Dale_, May 18, 2016.

1. Dale_

Dale_ Member

Hello all this is my first proper post here (so take it easy) :)

right i i have been doing so much research on converting my soarer to a manual, and there are so many options out there that it quite confusing and hard to set my self to one definate gearbox and going for it. I know everyone basically says you have the
    w58 and the 350z box. The bmw box ect

so now for my actual question, what is going to be the easiest type to find all the parts for? It's not a problem with a bit of fabrication and abit of custom work. But just all in all I'm basically looking for the easiest and cheapest conversion for everything.

Im not going to be running monster numbers as I've got my Scoobie for that. I have no set budget, and am open to any ideas.

i know that if you go onto google there are hundreds of manual conversions already been done for the 1uz but most of them seem to be in other country's, and beleive me I've scoured Google for answers and it just hasn't got what I need to know. If someone would be kind enough to write a list of what I'm going to need that would be awesome please! And you never know it may help a few other people that are looking.

thanks in advanced and remember no grilling! ;)

2. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

Best do a search on here mate. The subjects been done to death.

Most conversions are easy to source parts for now in the UK. Early ones tended to be w58 for cheapness of R154 if budget not so much an issue.
    The price of 154 boxes has pushed people towards other options. The 350z box probably has the best gear change.

There are details of suppliers etc in previous threads. Kits or abandoned project conversions regularly come up on here for sale too .

Rich

3. C1arke

C1arke Member

There's a lad that does all the parts for a swap for a 1uz into an is200 on the stock box, so could use a is200 box there cheep enough

4. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

BMW gearbox all day mate. I've just done my conversion for less than £600 using a zurawski motorsport conversion kit. Gearbox was £110, single mass flywheel/sachs clutch currently using. Just need a slave cylinder and spigot, and release bearing and it's done. The boxes are very strong, plentiful and cheap as chips

5. Dale_

Dale_ Member

That's what I'm looking for what bmw box is it that you have used?

6. Dale_

Dale_ Member

I'm still looking and can't find a definate list of all the parts im going to need? Any help would be much appreciated

7. jcoupe

jcoupe Member

drop me a pm dale

8. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

328 Zf is what I have. Very strong box. For a manual conversion, based on what I have done, you'll need:

Gearbox adapter plate
    Flywheel/clutch / adapter

BMW Gearbox - mine came with complete shifter mechanism and gearbox mount
    BMW Release bearing
    BMW Slave cylinder
    BMW Spigot bearing
    Front part of BMW propshaft