325i overheating

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by roblr1983, May 28, 2016.

1. roblr1983

roblr1983 Member

Hi guys

Having an issue converted my e36 compact to a 325 engine was running fine now overheats but drops back down when driving !! It isn't using any oil or coolant thermostat and waterpump have been changed, could this be head gasket? Rad doesn't seem to be getting hot and the heating sometimes works, any ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. Kingk

Kingk Member

My 318is used to do this, absolutely fine when driving, but stop in traffic and instantly overheat! Mine was due to a warped head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Confident you have bled the system fully?
    Jack the front up with the car running, open the bleed screw and top up as necessary.
    You using the compact rad? Have you flushed it with a hose incase of a blockage?
    Also test the thermostat in a cup of boiling water.

4. roblr1983

roblr1983 Member

I'm using the 318 rad as it looked exactly the same as the 325 one? It's brand new thermostat so should be good. It's a pig to bleed will try jacking up and bleeding it, do you have to have the heating on full whack to bleed as well?

5. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Yeah heating on too. Never had an issue bleeding so long as you get the front end higher than the connections for the heater matrix.

Only aircon rads are bigger I think. Should be fine with the original so long as it's in goood shape.

6. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

You checked the viscous? It won't use it whilst driving along but will when stationary.

7. roblr1983

roblr1983 Member

Well removed the rad today flushed it through with a hose, refitted it and bleed the system on the drive which is on a slope went out for an hour in the car and all seems to be good !! Thanks for your help guys

How do I check the viscous? Going to order an electric fan as well