Affordable V8 and manual transmission combo?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by V8DriftBrick, Jul 22, 2016.

1. V8DriftBrick

V8DriftBrick New Member

Hello everyone! I'm planning on V8 swapping my old Volvo 240 wagon, and I was wondering: what would be the most affordable V8/manual transmission combo for a drift car?

My budget would preferably be under $1k for the combo. Honestly not sure if that's feasible or not.

I'm planning on keeping the V8 as stock as I can, only doing what's necessary to make it NOT explode (hopefully). That said, what would you suggest for being the cheapest combo I could get? There are no swap kits I can find for this kind of car (except for a Ford 5.0 swap kit from a now defunct business), so the decision shouldn't be swayed by the availability of one. Whatever I can get, I'm going to make work. Daily drivability isn't important either since the car is going to be used exclusively for drifting and having fun. I also don't have to do smog or emissions testing, thankfully.

Buying a full car to pull an engine and trans out of is an option. In fact, I was thinking of looking for a mid to late 90's Mustang to gut for parts. If I do that, I can raise my budget to $1.5k

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any help with this!

2. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

why not just tune a red block turbo. they do mega power.

3. Benzo

Benzo Member

Alot of the swedes are installing Bmw m60/62 v8's. I've seen a lot of these swapped on Instagram so it must be straight forward enough.

4. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

BMW v8, buy an old 5 series complete and gut it.

5. MrLuke

MrLuke #172

If you are in USA then the answer is going to be completely different to if you are in Europe.

6. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

Exactly, there's bound to be hundreds of options out there all GM/Ford based given how common those platforms are. It would almost be a waste of time considering BMW or any non US made vehicle as a donor

You wouldnt have a hope in hell of getting a drivetrain of any sort for that price in the UK ! unless lucky enough to come across a scrap vehicle.