MK3 Supra 1JZ-GTE Misfire, Idling Issue and Stalling

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by samin, Jul 28, 2016.

1. samin

samin New Member

Hi, I recently purchased an Auto MK3 Supra with the factory 1JZ-GTE engine, at the moment it has a few issues. When trying to start the car it seems struggle and once started it has a rough idle and the throttle has to be applied at times to prevent it from stalling. When revving the car, it has a bad misfire causing it backfire constantly and doesn't seem to go past 3000ish rpm. The Engine management light also remains on at all times.

A new TPS was installed and calibrated, the old spark plugs which were carbon-fouled were also replaced with NGK BKR7E plugs. Both changes have had little to no effect. The IACV was also replaced not too long ago. The car did suffer from the common 'leaky caps' in the ECU two years ago but it was later replaced with an aftermarket Blitz ECU.

The misfiring, idle issue and stalling remains even after all of these changes.

Is there anyone that could give me some advice on what the problem may be and what actions can I take to help solve the problem?
    (I will post a video tomorrow of the car running showing the issues)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jon07043278

jon07043278 Well-Known Member

Have you checked the coil packs? Common 1JZ problem where they start cracking.

3. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Coil pack clips, then coil packs

4. h20490

h20490 Member

bet you its the knock sensor 3k bang bang not going anywhere and black smoke i tell theeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

5. Martin P

Martin P Member

Got any fault codes from it.

Bridge e1 an te1 with a jumper wire in the dianostic box an count the flashes on the warning light on the dash.
    Guides can be found on mkiiisupra.net

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

#5 Martin P, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. samin

samin New Member

Hi guys, thanks for the all the advice!

After replacing the blown capacitors on the Blitz ECU, the car now runs on all 6 cylinders and sounds as an inline 6 should. The misfiring has now ceased and there are no diagnostic fault codes to show. The 3k rev limit has also disappeared and the car revs freely to the redline. The only issue which seems to remain is that occasionally the engine hesitates for a split second or so and the revs drop which sometimes results in it stalling, and other times not. I will be reinstalling the correct capacitor when I get a chance and will also update any further issues which may develop relating to this issue.

A full detailed description of the problem and things which I tried can be found on the link below:

New Supra Owner! Facing Issues already :( - Welcome - MK3SUPRA.ORG