4 puk or 6 puk clutch?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Aidan_G, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Aidan_G

Aidan_G Member

which is best for drifting?

also whats the best way to break a paddle clutch in?

2. RX-line

RX-line New Member

I had received 6 paddle stage 4 sprung clutch from competition clutch (after frying their stage 3 mind you), great clutch and has handled some hard launches at the track with slicks.

4 puck would have less overall contact patch (More localized pressure) and I would think would come with a stronger pressure plate. As much as it makes sense to go over kill on a clutch unless you are making over a fair bit of power I wouldn't go to 4 puck unless it's a spec clutch.

As for a break in I would recommend putting 3-500miles of light to moderate driving. I had many tranny out after 800 miles of the new stage 4 and it was 85% seated on the freshly resurface flywheel. Meaning there was not even pressure due to the clutch disc tolerance.

#2 RX-line, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. Aidan_G

Aidan_G Member

well car will only be used at the track drifting. ill be going with an unsprung clutch for harsher bite. ill be using a new sachs (oem) pressure plate so i might go with a 6 puck to prevent it from breaking. i know people run 6 puck clutches on their m50 turbos with a rebranded sachs pressure plate and it holds up fine and they run 4-500bhp.

ill be running about 260-280bhp but have plans to run 350bhp once im happy to say the engine is finished and has no problems.

as for breaking it in, i cant exactly do any light moderate driving due to not having a license and car not being road legal. any other ideas for for breaking it in? im not exatly sure if padle clutches need to be broken in due to different materials to standard clutch but thats just what ive read so im unsure

4. r3h4n789

r3h4n789 New Member

A 4 puck competition clutch would be fine however I read elsewhere that using an unsprung clutch good ruin the gearbox. 4 puck will also be kinder to the flywheel & more holding power than the 6 :)

5. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

In simple terms...more surface area on the friction disc will offer smoother engagement. But less area here can offer more clamp due to smaller area and hence hold more power, even if it sounds strange.

And if you can, there are no real downsides to a sprung plate and it will give the transmission an easier life.

As for breaking in...unless you're right at the extremes of the capacity of the clutch, never worry too much about it. It will break in naturally as long as you arent a bellend and slip the shite out of it.

6. Aidan_G

Aidan_G Member

dead on lads. im just going to go with a 4 puck unsprung as its cheaper and no choice of a sprung one. ill be running a bmw gearbox which are cheap as chips and can handle the power of a 500hp jz with a twin plate clutch so im sure ill be fine with a sinlge 4 puck and 300bhp