Power FC repair in the UK

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Celicasaur, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Celicasaur

Celicasaur Member

Hi guys, anybody know where I can get my Power FC repaired in the UK? I'd prefer not to send it off to Apexi as they take forever (like 4-5 months).

Issue I'm having is no fuel between 2000 and 3000 rpm and when cruising at constant load, ie say....3500rpm in 6th gear, the car will buck, so in other words it has momentary lapses in fuel delivery. Car doesn't have this issue on the stock ecu.

Car is a 2ZZ-GE powered Celica. Help! :(

2. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

Bit of a wild assumption that is a fault of the ecu. You'd need to do some more substantial testing before assuming it's broken ! Especially given what you're describing.

3. CMR

CMR Member

How do you know it isn't the map?

4. Celicasaur

Celicasaur Member

It's not the map, because the ECU no longer responds to any fuel that I add or subtract from that rpm and at any load. It just runs lean off the scale. So strange that above 3000rpm all the way to 9500rpm it's fine and runs as normal and responds to fuelling changes.

As mentioned above, stock ECU doesn't have this problem. I opened up the PFC and on the back, saw a bit of cooked track from the motherboard. Took it to a ghetto electrical shop and the guy blobbed on a piece of wire to bridge the track (lol I could have done that myself ffs), but sadly it didn't make a difference.

What I found when I opened it:

[​IMG]

You can see it must have been cooking, from the burn mark left on the casing of the unit:

[​IMG]

And now the bodge repair:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yeah....am I just going to have to bite the bullet and send it off to Apexi and expect it back months later? Annoyingly, I was planning to take my car off road during the winter anyway and freshen up the motor anyway, but at the same time...I'd like to enjoy it for a couple months more in the autumn :(

5. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

Might be as handy to try and find another ecu ?

Or just change to something else instead ?

How much is it likely to cost between postage, repairs etc ?

6. Celicasaur

Celicasaur Member

Ahhh mate, if only. I'd love to test another power fc....i just don't know anybody else with a celica that would lend theirs to me. While the stock ecu 'works', it runs poorly due to me not having a lambda connected (PFC doesn't need it and all I've got is a UEGO bung in there)

Cost between postage/repairs....no idea tbh. I'd like to hope substantially cheaper than a new unit (£900+), but who knows really. The sucker for me is the downtime. My car has been through the wire for years, trying to prep it for Santa Pod and I was hoping to make the RWYB event this Saturday, but that's looking very doubtful right now. Contemplating towing the car up to the track now. My launch rpm is 5000/6000rpm, so I'll be ok to race it. It's just a bit...y'know.... :o

7. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

Not sure I'd be keen racing when I know there is actual damage within an ecu