R154 which lube to reduce grinding?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by 1jzpickup, Oct 21, 2016.

1. 1jzpickup

1jzpickup New Member

Saving to rebuild a spare r154 I have, but in the meantime the one I'm using started grinding 3rd.
    I'm running MT90 at the moment and it seen some harsh racing, I wanna change the fluid and don't know which oil I should buy to help "band aid" the grinding, hoping for a temp fix in the mean time, I heard RP synchromesh???

2. 1jzpickup

1jzpickup New Member

3. clonehunter

clonehunter Member

uhm...slower shifting?
    There is no "real" band aid to fucked synchros besides careful shifting.

4. Pauly-C

Pauly-C Member

I use redline lightweight shockproof oil (aka smurfs blood) in all my gearboxes even my r154 ,I used to have a skyline box that used to crunch into 3rd , when I put this in the crunch was gone , however at the end of the day, when the box crunches the damage is there. If you speak to garage d you will be surprised on how inexpensive it is for them to inspect and replace any worn synchros if you can take the box out yourself, if I was in your shoes , knowing how expensive the r154 is to replace , I would be having it repaired pal.

Paul

5. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

DO you think another thread will get any answers the first one didnt ?

6. 1jzpickup

1jzpickup New Member

It doesn't grind below 32mph but the higher I go over that the worst it gets, slow, fast or medium it does it. I guess I'll throw 3rd below 32 for the time been. Downshifting it grinds, up shifting its more like a crunch

7. 1jzpickup

1jzpickup New Member

Thanks, I just switched from MT90 that was on the gearbox for like a year to fresh GM synchromesh (following someone's advice) but no luck , dunno if I should try the shockproof stuff at this time, all my racing it's 3rd and 4th gear pulls, if it was 1st or second gear crunching I wouldn't mind as much..ty

8. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

You should try ensuring the clutch is working correctly.

Every single synchro in the box doesnt suddenly have a problem at once.