diff swap, bearing questions

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Saddened, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Saddened

Saddened Member

hello!

I am getting a nismo 2 way diff core for my S13. I was told they have to destroy the half axle bearings to install it. They said that before actually seeing things in reality.

That true? I want to go out and buy it, come prepared.
    I also noticed the centre proshaft bearing is gone. Everything flapping around there. THat a common thing?

2. Saddened

Saddened Member

Can this be recognized as R180 or R200? Best I could do in a suit this morning, without lifting the car up. I am a little confused as there are no bolts on the side like it is with an R180, but the bolt pattern is like with an R180.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 Saddened, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  3. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

looks like an r200 diff to me.

you don't have to destroy anything to remove the diff centre. pop the half shafts out, remove rear cover, undo the 2 bearing caps, pry them out. then remove diff centre.

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

The bolt pattern on the backing plate mount is like an R200 - the widest set of holes are used as (logically) the R200 is bigger than the R180

And according to the installation manual here (NISMO | Installation Manual) there is no need to destroy the bearings. Who said that?

5. Saddened

Saddened Member

guys at BMW who never worked on an open diff case before apparantly

This nismo 2 way I found is a used unit out of the casing and I will have someone put it together for me as I don't want to risk such an expensive part. Maybe not the BMW guys though.

If I understand correctly a new LSD comes with a few other things in the kit. This one won't I suppose.

What will be needed apart from the actual core itself? I randomly checked conceptua tuning store on ebay and they offer a bunch of things such as casing seals, side bearings, 0,8 shims, 1,0 shims, oil seals. What parts are good to have nearby when doing an assebly like this?