Rb25 oil starvation

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by ross11, Jan 22, 2017.

1. ross11

ross11 New Member

Newbie warning!
    Just got my first rb.. been reading a lot about the oil starvation problem.. I'm running just 300hp.. what's people's thoughts? Does this problem need rectified or is it just for higher bhp and track use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Most of the time the oil issues are a result of people hammering on the engines for extended periods of time and the oil drains in the head not being big enough so the bottom ends starves. Also, not running an external oil cooler during said hammering and the oil thinning out. Finally, the pressure relief valve in the oil pump leaking and dropping pressure or the oil pump drive off the crank failing.

Regardless of what its being used for the best thing you can do is throw an oil filter sandwich plate on and a good quality oil pressure gauge that has an oil pressure warning light.

After that, if you're going to do drift days then fit an oil cooler kit (will run off the sandwich plate). Final thing is to change the oil after every second drift day and the filter every 4th.

After that, there's an external oil drain kit from the back of the head to the sump but I'd only fit that if i was having oil pressure problems during track drifting.

I'm only pushing 340hp out of an RB25 but it's done 7 years, 38 tracks days and about 20,000km in street driving using the above methods and still has over 120psi oil pressure at idle when cold (pressure relief valve is sticky btw)

3. ross11

ross11 New Member

Cheers for that pal.. that's what I need to know. I have oil pressure gauge in the car already. Don't think al be doing drift days this year at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk