1jz conversion woes

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by 93luxdave, Feb 21, 2017.

1. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

Hello everyone, ive just finished installing a 92 soarer engine into my 4x4 but im at my wits end :( i have the engine in and running but it runs crazy rich at idle and most of the time wont stay idling for longer than a minute, checked ecu, iacv is working and clean, plug gap is good, coil packs seem good, alternator is charging fine,

the wierd thing is if i bring the revs up to say 3k once it cleans the excessive fuel out it will run mint from 3k to 6k blips return to idle nice for a second then run rich asf again

Engine mods are 2j injectors, .68ar single conversion, fcd and safc, i have a bosch 044 feeding the standard rail and factory press reg wouldnt think it would be too much for it though?

saw it running in the car before removal and was perfect so im thinking a wiring problem somewhere but any and all info will be greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone
    Dave

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Checked for a leaking injector? Pulls the plugs and see if one is more fouled than the others

3. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

The plugs all come out evenly black asf

4. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

What injectors/what ECU?

5. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

440cc 2j injectors and soarer ecu, replaced caps this arvo small improvement, and also just found one of the map sensor wires had 2 strands holding it together, about too fix and solder will report back

6. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

No major improvement :( on the ignitor there are 3 plugs two black and the grey plug, whats the purpose of the grey plug?

7. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

I would have thought a big single turbo turbo and bigger injectors would probably be beyond the capabilities of an SAFC to be honest.

8. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

When i purchased the engine it was running perfect, have just checked for codes and have a few so will look into it tomorrow and go from there, its going to be something stupid i know it lol

9. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

Thats what Id say. Not a fan of this big turbo/injectors on a stock ECU, just seems like a bodge to me.

10. BenRice

1jz ecu's seem to hold up pretty well to modifications, they're definitely no RB25 ecu that's for sure. Add an SAFC to the mix and you can normally get them running pretty good even with things like bigger injectors & turbo changes tbh. Have seen dudes run 1.5jz engines on factory ecu's with an SAFC and get pretty good numbers/safe AFR's out of them

Pity no ones done a Nistune-style plug-in 1j/2j ecu's........yet

11. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

Yeah plenty of people with more mods than me running fine with a safc

So did a code check last night and got

Im leaning towards an earth issue, however i will be grabbin another map to test this arvo and will cut the safc out of the equation aswell just incase its stuffed

Im pretty sure the other codes are due to it cranking over for a while before actually firing but will sort out 24 and 31 do a reset and try again

Apparently 24 and 31 can be related due to using the same earth circuit so fingers crossed

Cheers guys

12. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

Ok so fixed everything up this arvo and now the only code i get is 52, which says knock sensor front, now this is where it gets interesting as the rear one is f $#%ed cant believe i didnt notice when fitting the engine grrr but thats not the front one and ive continuity checked the front and its fine

My question is would a disconnected knock sensor cause erratic idle and over fueling?

13. BenRice

I reckon the wiring is back to front and the rear is plugged into the front's plug and vice versa

14. 93luxdave

93luxdave New Member

Redid the wiring and replaced rear sensor still screaming its the front one so i shall replace that too grrr