How do I get started in drifting?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Big Tee, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Big Tee

Big Tee Member

Afternoon chaps.

I have been mulling this over for a while now and thought I would post in here, after reading the sticky at the top of the page it said this is the section for "Newbie" questions, so here it goes.

I originally registered on this forum years ago (forgot my user name and re-registered recently) but truth be known the only thing I have ever had sideways is my Ford ranger pick up in the work yard after a bit of rain! I originally registered to read through some of the pretty spectacular build threads.

Now as time has gone on I have moved away from a previous interest (Classic minis, used to have tonnes of fun doing the runs and meets) and I am not looking at having a go at something else for 2015.

I am considering having a go at this drifting stuff but have no idea where to start.

I am considering setting myself a very cheap budget and starting out with something small and cheap, around £500 on a MX5, old beamer or something of that variety.

I have no interest in this Streeto Lark but am pretty close to Lydden Hill, Are there many days down there for complete beginner drifters? or is it a case of going up to pod for a DWYB day and they trying to progress from there?

Thanks in advance for ay help and sorry for the very beginner questions.

2. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

MX5, weld the diff, drift button on the handbrake, air filter, straight pipe. Go start having fun! My opinion anyway :thumbs:

3. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

328 or MX5, weld diff, bucket seat, DWYB until you can link some bends then Lydden :)

4. status unknown

buy a bmw, go to kent and hit up some roundabouts

5. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

Steady, we're not all hitting up them roundabouts.

6. redlinereiddy

redlinereiddy Member

buy my 328 bmw then go book a novice track day at lydden!

7. docwra

docwra Active Member

I dont think Lydden is really the best bet for your first ever drift day. It certainly isnt for the guy monstering up behind you at the top of 4th anyway ;)

8. LiamE36

LiamE36 Active Member

That's why they've got different groups.

First drift day I ever attended was lydden.