New to drifting, need some advice

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Sausagesquad, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Sausagesquad

Sausagesquad New Member

So im completely new to drifting, i havent learned how to drift at all, i dont even have a car yet. But thats my problem, which car should i get? Im kinda stuck between an S13 240sx, an mx-5, and an ae86. I love ae86's but they are still pretty old cars so i would have to get it to pass smog and maintain it so i can drive it everyday, and i feel like that would be more expensive than the other cars because its older. I dont want a dedicated drift car, i want a daily driver that i could drift on the weekends. And i live in the united states (in california where smog is stricter than other states) and im guessing that bmw's and volvos and parts for them are much more common and cheap in the UK. Where i live bmw's are expensive, and fixing a bmw or a volvo would kill my bank account. Fixing an s13, mx-5, or ae86 wont be as bad

2. mint

mint touch my fruit

mx5 would be the cheapest probably. More reliable than an cheap s13 imo.

3. Jarno

Jarno Member

I own an MX5. For what i know is that Mx5's are ok for drifting But... the 50/50 weight distribution and short wheel base makes drifting a little harder then a car that for example has a big engine block in the front with a longer wheel base. But if you want to go for cheap. i think an mx5 is the way to go. if you have a little more to spare id go for an S13. Keep in mind that some parts might be hard to get for older cars... im not sure but her ein the netherlands getting ae86 parts can ben quite hard. Where S13 parts are everywhere.

Personaly for drift i would go for a bmw 325 e30 or e36. Like you mentioned bmw's are expensive where you live but have u looked at these old models?

4. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

MX5 cheapest of the bunch.

s13 will take all your money fixing it.

AE86 will take all your money buying it in the first place.

5. Sausagesquad

Sausagesquad New Member

Ill start looking some bmws. Ive found lots of good condition ae86's for about $3000, which is like 2300 euros or something like that i think. And theres ones for half that price that run but need some work. I think i might just get an s13 though

6. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

+1 MX5 is the way...

7. DGstu

DGstu Member

I run an e36 Beemer and an mx5 mk1, both drift really well but the Beemer is by far the easier of the 2 to get the best out of and definitely better suited to a beginner.

8. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Knowing how common 240's are in the states you'd be mad to use anything else. Parts are everywhere and upgrades are the cheapest of any alternative.

Just be diligent when buying. If you don't have mates in the automotive industry then before buying talk to a good, local workshop and explain you want to get some mechanical inspections done before buying a car. I would steer away from any drift or "tuning" based workshops in favour for a local place with a good rep. Failing that, an auto service franchise, especially if you find a car out of your area.

Get a compression test and leakdown test done on each car. Get the workshop to give you their opinion on what it's been maintained like: they will make a call based on things like condition of fluids, colour of the plug tips, engagement of clutch, brake performance, etc.

Better to spend $50 and avoid a $500 bill. And any person not willing to allow their car to get checked is a warning to stay away.

Tend towards cars with no modifications done as the parts are cheap, and unmodifed cars are more likely to be unmolested and be more reliable. Just budget in buying a set of cheap new coilovers and a spare diff to get welded up and you will be away and laughing.

9. s14south

s14south Member

ae86s are pretty cheap over there arnt they? id take full advantage of that personally. but its not much good asking on a uk forum really as not many on here will know much about how it is over there.