What to buy?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by jamiecombe123, Nov 23, 2014.

1. jamiecombe123

jamiecombe123 New Member

Hi guys,

Im looking at potentially buying a rwd car and was wondering where to start, i currently drive a corsa vxr and i love the power and the look however i feel like i could do with a change for something rwd and a bit more fun, i owned an ej9 previously and loved it so was thinking of going back jap however I'm not sure what would be best as I've never had a rwd car.

i don't really want to buy something I'm going to lose money on, and if i were to sell my current car i would be looking at having around a 6k budget, any ideas on what would be a good starting point for this? ideally id want something for between 4-5k just so i can have a bit of spending money on the car

any help would be awesome

cheers guys

2. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Up to 5k is a decent budget. I would recommend either a 180sx or S14. Can't go wrong with an S chassis.

3. C35Rob

C35Rob Member

if you're worried about losing money then frankly you're in the wrong hobby...

anyway, either an s13/s14, an e36/e46, altezza/is200 etc...

4. mint

mint touch my fruit

Toyota JZX90
    Toyota Soarer
    Mazda RX8

Get one of those; there all awesome cars in their own way.

Or just buy a S Body like everyone else does. However they brake alot and 9 times outa 10 look shit unless you spend wads on them. Thats just opinion though and everyone has their own.

You sold your EJ9 for a Corsa? Poor choice :p Even with all those fancy letters and badges, a corsa's a corsa. D14 is where its AT!!! :D :D Cant beat those single cams haha loved my one.

5. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Didn't realise you could pick up a jzx90 for less then 5k! I gotta vote jzx now that I know that! :)

6. mint

mint touch my fruit

#6 mint, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

It's a risk? Like with importing the vehicle. Or the fact you can pick a JZX90 up for £187 + shipping, reg and all that :D

#7 Retro - Slide, Nov 26, 2014
  8. C35Rob

C35Rob Member

that's not a JZX90 though, is it... it's a gx90.. so not a 1jz, auto and really.. what sort of knacker is it going to be for £180? plus when you add inland transport costs, de reg, commission, shipping, unloading fees at this end, customs and vat, registration and MOT you'd be lucky to get that on the road for £3000. then you'll need/want to do a manual box and 1JZ conversion on top of that.

9. mint

mint touch my fruit

Totally, however at the same time.. the second hand car market is not a strong one within Japan as you might know. The Japanese see taking someone's second hand items, as taking their potential bad fortune. This is why most cars end up outside Japan.. Hell last time I was there, it was rare you would come across an EK4, EK9, EG6, anything old really, that there is a demand for. Thats because theres money to made from export.

So yes you are correct, the one I posted as an example is indeed a GX, bottom of the run etc etc etc.. but its less than £200 for a RWD toyota thats still, fairly rare here in the UK.

When I sit here and read thread after thread of people working on UK Silvias and plowing 10's of thousands into them to end up with another fairly generic looking silvia.. with the same shit. When you dump half of that into something like this, well.. You see where im going with this.

Anyway, It was just an example, the point is... there can be good cars to be found on there im sure of it, theres bloody loads! As for that site in general it hasnt got a great rep from the bigger exporters for obvious reasons, and there is stories of cars already being sold, whilst still advertised etc, so its a risk in some sense.. that your dealing direct with the Japanese man in a little building somewhere in Japan whos struggling to sell second hand cars to a market that, doesnt really want them.

You have the advantage though, that Japanese (as a whole) arnt out to get you unlike the people you have to deal with on this side of the world ¬__¬..

:)

Id like to add though to the OP asking the question - My advice probably wasnt suited towards someone who hasnt drifted before, as if you start to drift. You'll crash. If you crash a fancy/rare car it'll be a pain to fix. So buy an MX5 or a BMW :p lol. The rest of this babble is just for anyone else bored enough to read.

#9 mint, Nov 26, 2014
  10. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Lol I just read all that. Good sound advice. I'd defo take a risk of a jap import actually importing it myself next time. Want a chaser next. Love the soarer tho, its my third. Sell, buy somet else, realise it's shit, buy a soarer again. Done the s13 thing twice and Ye it's the same old thing. Chasing rust, bad engines etc. Every Toyota I've had has been fine. Supra, soarer, gt4, etc.
    Funny thing is, the best car I ever bought was also the cheapest. Soarer for 1k. It had just recently had the twins rebuilt in steel, with £700 receipt, and 4 new tyres. That was the grand right there, so technically the car was free. Old man owner for 8 years, loved and cared for. He just sold it in the wrong place.

11. Argonaut

Argonaut New Member

This guy's got the right idea- literally I joined the 200SX owners club and photo after photo is just practically stock S15s/S14s with some different rims.. nice cars but will rob your money for only smaller benefits unlike some perfect RWD chassis out there which could out perform Silva's for half the price.. many people seemingly buying them nowhere days for the 'show' aspect of a probably moderately tuned Silva..

I mean, will I be the only one flinging a Stagea around in a couple of years time? :(

#11 Argonaut, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  12. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

JZ. The engine to end all engines. The best engine ever made, period.

13. docwra

docwra Active Member

So the reason everyone uses S chassis and Skylines is just lack of imagination, not that they are the best platform available? And perfect chassis for half the price ......... these are what exactly, some kind of magical E36's? :wack:

14. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Seeing an S chassis on the street or something still makes me smile. But your right non of them are 'special'. They are starting to look the same :(

15. Argonaut

Argonaut New Member

Just look and I'm sure you would find. Probably.

Whilst they are some of the most popular and easy choices to use, you can't deny that something out there, no matter how obscure, could keep up for half the price (inb4f "yur a stupid cunt who dunt know shit")- like in WW2 how the Miles M.20 at the time was faster than the Hurricane and had better range that both the Spitfire and the Hurricane and could carry more ammo, but was scrapped because the RAF would rather just wait it out with the Hurricanes instead of putting some effort into what could've shorted the Battle of Britain..

went off on a bit of a tangent but it proves my point- there's so much out there there's bound to be something better.. right?:confused:

16. docwra

docwra Active Member

Thats my point though, if there was something better people would be using it already. The only RWD cars that are anywhere near decent and half the price are the aforementioned E36 and MX5, and I wouldnt say either are better than an S1* ......... but thats why they are half the price.

Its easy to say "be different, use a Soarer/RX7/JZX/Supra/SR86/Firebird/XJ6/Hearse" but they generally have something (usually cost, sometimes parts) thats means a 200SX is easier but just as capable.

17. mint

mint touch my fruit

Totally Doc, but not everyone wants 'easy' and 'capable' some people such as me, prefer to have a challenge and have a rarer car out on track. Some people strive for setting new bench marks with random cars for drifting. I think this should be applauded as opposed to shunned for the norm.

I don’t doubt drifting silvias is easy, hell.. Iv had one. I don’t doubt the parts are cheap.. but that’s because there common. Is that a good thing? Depends on your financial status and opinion.

:) As long as everyone just does what they want and drifts them its no issue :D

18. tidytobes

tidytobes Manfoot Kerb Magnet

Totally agree, I've been through a good few s body cars, a couple of r bodies and loved them all, probably the best 'turn key' skidder I ever had was my old beaten up s14, but actually I preferred my old JZX100 for many other reasons, and whenever you get talking to someone about old cars that's the one they remember most fondly (that and the stupid purple convertible PS of course!!) hence why I've now got my old PS13 for hardcore track stuff and the Verossa on the way as a retarded street car..

It's horses for courses and I would say the best 'compromise' between being different and being able to enjoy a car is still an s body of some description, they aren't massively unique without a big budget but they're fun and as a first drift car the sort of stuff that will inevitably get broken is relatively easy to replace whilst being affordable. On the other hand JZX's are amazing in general and seem to retain a little more value residually..

19. Argonaut

Argonaut New Member

I'll come back one day when I stop making daft comments.. I promise :p

But yeah you can't go wrong drifting an S-chassis with some simple modifications- Like you mint, more odd choices will stand out and could be more difficult like you mentioned Doc to maintain with parts and to some extent, modifications- for my choice in the future it'll probably have to be a Wagon- Crown Estate, Stagea, E36, IS200 Sportcross etc. Dunno why as i'd never use the space, but finding a manual Stagea is tricky even when searching through imports..

20. jamiecombe123

jamiecombe123 New Member

nah my ej9 was written off :/ got flashed out and as i pulled out i was slammed into :/