Roll cage a necessity on convertible?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by MazdaNoob, Nov 20, 2015.

1. MazdaNoob

MazdaNoob New Member

Hi guys,

I've been looking in to the Mazda MX5's as a drift car more and noticing that some of them have roll cages fitted and some don't.

I also read that there are some places where you must have a roll cage on a convertible or they won't let you drift.

Can anyone tell me roughly how much a roll cage for a MX5 costs and whether it's better to get someone to make one or buy on ready made?

I've also seen that you can get the hard tops that clip on to the MX5s, will these provide the same protection if flipped that a roll cage would?

Cheers guys.

2. JasonER34

JasonER34 Member

Moss sell roll over bars for the mx5/Miata

3. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

A roll over bar is a minimum requirement for driftland. And I wouldn't drift one without. A hard top will offer no protection.
    Easy to make if you have access to the tools, or there are plenty bolt in options out there from full cages to rollover bars.

4. immy21

immy21 Member

As above really, check with your local track on soft top rules. Also something worth considering, mk2's onwards have door bars for side impact, mk 1's have your hips as side impact.

I want a cage for sure but it's a lot of money for our cars that are always on the verge of scrap tbh I have fitted a pair of these into our mk 1 and mk2:
    Mazda MX5 Roll Bar Road/ Race,Track, Quality Structural Bar MK1 & MK2 5 Colours | eBay

I would recommend them even if it's not compulsory, they fit great tbh, good bar for reasonable money.

5. MazdaNoob

MazdaNoob New Member

Thanks for clearing that up lads.

6. MattMX5

MattMX5 New Member