Enough power for drifting?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by PinkCodger8720, Jan 8, 2017.

1. PinkCodger8720

PinkCodger8720 New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I have seen questions like these already asked, but they always get answered the same, either with "it depends on the car" or "you can drift anything". I am aware that I can drift anything with enough effort, but my goal is that the car can easily break traction with its own power and hold longer drifts, maybe even generate some smoke too. The car weighs about 1200 KG and has a weight distribution of around 50:50, it's an E36. The tires are 185, maybe even wider on new but cheap tires, they're "Sava"s if anyone knows what those are. My goal isn't to make the car easier to drift by increasing tire pressure, or putting used, skinny tires. It needs to be a normal street setup. This question is purely hypothetical, btw.

2. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

well youve never told us the engine but basically any e36 can be drifted it just depends on how big your bollocks are, ive seen a standard 316 drifted before. 318 16vs are meant to be pretty decent. bash the tyre pressure up high as fuck

3. PinkCodger8720

I could swap the engine for whatever depending on how much power I need. I know that I can drift a stock 316i, but like I've told, I want it to have enough power to break traction easily, and generate smoke while holding longer drifts, something a stock 316i can't do. A stock one requires quite a bit of effort to even attempt longer drifts and some corners it just flat out can't do. and I said that I don't want to increase the tire pressure a lot. Thanks, anyway.

4. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

Love these sort of posts.

[​IMG]

5. docwra

docwra Active Member

RWD car not drifting? Go faster.

Nice use of the askhole there too :thumbs:

6. PinkCodger8720

if you and him had read the question, then I wouldn't have to.
    You just read the title and answered.

7. PinkCodger8720

Genius, why didn't I think of that.
    Oh, I know. I did, it's in the question! It just can't hold longer drifts.
    is there a single person on this forum that actually reads questions and isn't a smartass?

8. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

No I didn't. I read it all. And in fact I've read it a couple of times, and each time I read it, you sound more and more like an absolute fucktard.

I have no idea why you are asking for advice if you're not going to take on board said advice.

Define 'normal street setup'?

What are you actually trying to do with this car on the street?
    I would perceive that a car that will effortlessly 'hold long drifts' would be far from a 'normal street setup'?

9. Dirk Jan

Dirk Jan Member

M50B25.

/thread.

10. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

And as for labelling us smartass, you'll generally find you need smart people to offer advice.

It's quite simple physics really, longer drifts need more speed. Which is what you've been told.

11. Saddened

Saddened Member

Sava also produces Goodyear, they are not the worst tires out there. I think you will want wider tires anyway because you will want grip in front as well as traction for changing direction. If I am not mistaken grippy soft tires smoke better than normal tires anyway.

I would not be comfortable throwing out required power numbers for holding slides as pro drifters use everywhere from 200-1200 HP in their cars and I am barely even a beginner. I can imagine you would see success in a lighter vehicle, so strip it first. THen go for something you can get for cheap. Stock engine with a compressor should get you 250 to the wheels. Maybe get a diff with shorter final drive ratio to spin the tires some more. Thinking out loud.

12. docwra

docwra Active Member

OK, in simple language - I can hold a drift for as long as I like in a mid engined car with 120hp. In your case the car isnt the problem, the driver is.

GO FASTER.

13. PinkCodger8720

thank you, finally.
    someone who's not a condescending ass.

14. PinkCodger8720

normal street setup of the tires on an E36. So close to stock. I took said advice, but it wasn't exactly the advice I was looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

there is difference between being smart and being a smartass.

15. thenextdk

thenextdk Member

normal street setup of the tires on an E36. So close to stock. I took said advice, but it wasn't exactly the advice I was looking for.

I honestly don't know what advice you were hoping for.

Go fast and high pressures is all you got on a stock e36.

16. docwra

docwra Active Member

The fuck? Man has told you to put wider tyres on (more grip, less sideways) talks about tyre smoke when youve told us you cant hold actually drift and then said to add a supercharger to the car ............ and youre thanking him?

17. Saddened

Saddened Member

Think he was thanking me for my attitude (or lack of it) more than actual help.

I personally dont think anyone could help him with his problem because he is asking for a power figure for his specific setup and you cant answer that unless you own the car and go through multiple stages of wngine modification to say: 247.34BHP should do it for ya

Poslano z mojega LG-D855 z uporabo Tapatalk

18. mcleansc

mcleansc Member

I think this forum is littered with people who want to talk about drifting but not actually do it. I did this for a long time, asking stupid questions and always planning (there was always one other thing to add) instead of just welding the diff and seeing what it'll do.

Wider wheels will make the welded diff feel like aids driving daily, the car will lurch and bounce everywhere, get the thinnest rear wheels you can. I went from Style 32's which are quite wide, to 7J's and I hardly notice the welded diff now. Bonus: cheaper tyres as well.

I'm not the best driver so this may be me, but, I have a 328i with the M50 inlet manifold and remap and in the dry the car can't break traction with just it's own power. So if that's what you want an E36 might not be your answer.

You need to be honest with yourself, it's easy to talk about swapping cams or engines or supercharging or turbocharging but will you really do that? If you want more power sell the 316 and buy a 328. For my current skills the power of the 328 is more than ample, you may be in the same boat.