The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. kam

kam I've touched Chris Parry

Soooo, who is involved in any aspect of fitness?

We've got a gym here at DW which we are pretty proud of. I've always wanted a personal gym!
    Kitchen is also full of supplements!

We have: 125kg olympic barbell, 40kg Bowflex dumbells and a cable crossover machine.
    Couple of benches, squat rack and a multigym thing too. I'll get some pictures a bit later.

I train as heavy as I can, 5 days a week. Pretty simple, most the time aim for 3x10, failure before or on 10 on the last set. Switch it up with dropsets, pyramid most sets etc... pretty standard stuff.

I'd like to try Crossfit, but typically the closest one to me is back home, 30 miles away!

Thought it might be a good idea to get a general thread up for advice, plans, workout's shit like that, following a recent thread seeing that we have some PT's etc on here :)

2. kam

3. blitz20ten

blitz20ten Member

got rid of all my personal gear as downsized in house... but train down the gym 5 nights a week when i can!
    nothing beats a shitty day like a good sesh down the gym! :)

4. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Gym at work sounds pretty ideal. I train at the uni gym in Hatfield which was designed by a spaz and usually full of people with awful technique..but it works. Currently training for a fitness model type physique whilst still not living in the gym. Mixing up my training loads to keep things interesting I love watching all the bar brothers stuff and then failing misserably when I try it myself. Can nail muscleups..just working on flag atm.

Ive found so much useful information and training programs on bodybuilding.com FYI

Also, myprotien has cheap good quality protien.

Looking forward to seeing this thread evolve

5. Jim_Bob

Jim_Bob Member

Go to a gym not far from me, only place around that has a squat rack.

Do powerlifting/strongman type work: squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead presses, rows and the like. Usually 5x5, sometimes doing singles for max. Are we going to bother posting up numbers?

Been neglecting cardio for some time now, so I'm going to be starting something called Couch to 5K soon, then once I've managed to do that, going to try 10k, and then adding some bricks or something into a rucksack and nail 10k in an hour with 25kg extra.

Fancy giving these a try:

Warrior Dash | Home
    Tough Mudder - this is the yank site, but there is a British version

MyProtein and bodybuilding.com are fantastic, I'll agree with that. I also like sugdenbarbell.com too, they have an amazing gym at Ashton-under-Lyme, east side of Manchester. The gym is one of the best in Britain without a doubt.

6. kam

I'm thinking of doing Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder is way beyond me - I HATE running!
    I've got no interest in CV really, I did Muay Thai for a bit but then got fucked my ankle (running!!) - I'd like to try Crossfit though.

I've used myprotein for a couple of years now, I think whey is whey TBH. Around 30g in a serving and you're good to go.

7. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

I just got back to the gym this week after 5 months out due to work and fuck me what a shock. It's scary how fast you loose strength from not training.

Picking up some new runner boots this weekend to start running before work next week.

8. DRAGONFD3S

DRAGONFD3S Member

i love going gym to see the hotties :)

9. CBRParr

CBRParr Active Member

Oh thank god its not just me then. Although..its not common to see

10. kam

It's all about lurking outside the gym classes lol. No fit women use the gym in this country.
    Maybe we'll have fitness models here like the US in 10 years...

11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

you want to get fit or massive? as the two are quite different!

12. kam

Who's that aimed at?

13. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

you man! is your quest to be pyshicaly fit cardio wise or to get bigger?

14. kam

Ah right, nah not interested in improving my CV at all.
    I'm not un-fit by any stretch, I can run 5 miles if I want to and can sprint pretty fast.

Want to get slightly bigger and stronger :)

15. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I use the DW Mega Manly Gym with Kam for lifting heavy stuff 4 times a week for about an hour. But I also get up every morning at 6:30 to either run pretty hard, or fast walk uphill for the fat burn. This is at home on my treadmill in front of a TV watching my entire collection of DVD's, which for me makes it enjoyable.
    My goal is to lose lot's of fat, but not get skinny. I've been doing it for about 5 months I guess, and I'm chuffed with the results considering I'm not rediculous with my diet, and still drink far far to much beer. There's still a long way to go though that's for sure, and it gets mighty cold in our gym at winter.

16. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

Warrior dash canceled.. its all about the Spartan Sprint. And its pretty close (well midlands)
    Theres a 5k one on the sunday: SPARTAN RACE™ | Spartan Sprint obstacle course race in Midlands UK
    or if your feeling mad theres a 12k one the day before: SPARTAN RACE™ | Super Spartan obstacle course race in Midlands UK

Personally 5k is a 'first step' for me so I think im gonna man up and get there. Gonna drag Sam Holt there too after he made a bet he coudl do one.

As for fitness.. im really starting to get into the calisthenics and for that i need to seriously improve my strength and upper body size (currently i have none after dieting for so long). Once I finish my cutting I am gonna focus on weights/lifting again. :)

17. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

Kam you know my thoughts on Crossfit , im a massive advocate. I train at Crossfit Central London in Southwark. We have no machines, no mirrors and NO WANKERS. Everyone if there to help each other.

How CFCL works is that you attend a foundation course, this will teach you the correct technique for most of the compound moves that you'll need:-

Bodyweight Squat
    Front Squat
    Overhead Squat

Deadlift
    Sumo Deadlift
    Sumo Deadlift Highpull

Press
    Push Press
    Push Jerk

Then moving onto Gymnastic elements:-

Handstand
    Handstand Pushup
    Muscleups -
    (looks easy right but its tough)

Then onto more advanced lifts:-

Snatch
    Clean and Jerk
    Clean and Press

No one moves onto weights on bars until they have the technique perfect.

Each session is between half an hour to an hour and consists of a Warm Up, A Skill and a WOD (Workout Of The Day). You start of doing Elements which are scaled down versions of a WOD. Have a look at the last three that i did:-

Monday

Warm Up:-

400m Run
    5 Wall Walks (face away from the wall, hands on the floor then walk your legs up the wall until you are vertical. Must have locked arms and active shoulder, hold each one for as long as possible without going to failure)
    15 BW Squats

Skill:-

Skipping - normal single under and then double unders (rope goes under twice for every jump)

WOD - Terrible 25's:-

1 round for the quickest time -

25 Box Jumps (24inch box)
    25 Pull Ups
    25 Kettle Bell Swings (16 kg)
    25 Walking Lunges (knee must touch floor)
    25 Knees to Elbow (in pull up position bend at the hips and get your knees to touch your elbows)
    25 Push Press (20kg Bar)
    25 Sit Ups (shoulders to floor on each one)
    25 Wall Balls (6kg Ball, below parallel squat)
    25 Burpess (Chest must touch the floor and full extension on the jump)
    25 Double Unders

Wed

Warm Up:-

400m Run
    30 Squats
    20 Press ups (chest to floor)
    10 Pull ups

WOD

3X5 Press
    3x5 Push Press
    3X5 Push Jerk

Final set should be close to your 3RM

Finisher:-

30 second Work + 30 second Rest

W - Sit Ups, R - Sit up Hold
    W - Push Ups, R - Plank (in push up position)
    W - Flutterkicks, R - Hollow Hold

Friday

Warm up:-

Run 400m
    15 Burpees
    2 X Length Walking Lunge
    15 Press ups
    30 Sit ups

WOD - Angie:-

50 Pull ups
    50 Press ups
    50 Sit ups
    50 Squats

Again sounds easy but its horrific when you do full execution with correct technique.

You can see that nothing is really the same, some workouts are more cardio, some are skill, some are strength.

No 2 days will ever be the same.

18. oli_the_thread

I've just got back in the gym after 3+ months out pretty much due to a snapped wrist, went every now and again for some CV and leg training, but it gets very boring very quickly having no variation.
    As said above though, amazing how much strength ive lost in that time. Back on being strict with what I eat and in the gym 4+ times a week. I usually do a couple of sets of 12 then 3rd set to full failure and just do whatever feels good really, sometimes I can get in the groove for certain stuff other times I can't so I tend not to do any planning.
    Just bought some knee straps too so I can properly push myself on legs again!

19. peterhouze

peterhouze Member

im the lazy fella here so do a 3 mile run 4 times a week and go swimming when i can never really got into going to the gym i just got bored of lighting things up and down

20. bimbleuk

bimbleuk Member

Go look up P90X if you want a regime to follow. Mate of mine has made quite a bit of progress follwing this.

As for myself I just cycle to work which is an hour each way 3 days a week all year round and then mix it up with walking and fell style running as just pounding miles on the road is plain boring. Never been to a gym. No supplements.