How easy to change MK2 MX5 steering wheel?

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Ridders92, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

As title says I am looking to put a smaller wheel in for drifting as the standard wheel is massive and nearly hits my knees.

The MK2 has the airbag which I assume makes it a bit more tricky!

Basically what I want to know is how hard is it to do and what do I need to do it and also can anyone recommend a decent boss and steering wheel for the mx5?

Thanks guys.

2. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

I bought an ebay boss for £18, the only real issue I have had is the allen bolts holding the wheel kept coming undone so I had to use loctite on them. Steering wheel was the one from my 32, a sparco. They come in different diameters so measure your stock wheel and work out how many mm smaller you want. I think mine is 350mm edge to edge which os good for me. Not too difficult, you have to remove the battery connections to prevent the airbag going off in your face. Then getting the wheel off can take lots of yanking!

There's a guide here.

[​IMG]

Ian. :)

3. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

Cheers for that Ian exactly what i was looking for!

I will need to put a resistor in to turn the airbag light off and I can wire a switch up for the horn so that works for the M.O.T.

Don't suppose you have a link to the boss have you mate? Never know what I am buying when it comes to that stuff haha

4. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

5. Ridders92

Ridders92 Member

6. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey New Member

Hey what seats are they fitted and do they sit higher than stock?
    Anyone have any worries about removing the airbag or is it not that bad?

7. OllieEN

OllieEN Member

Unplug battery then fit a resistor equal to the resistance of the airbag (Google will usually tell you) before you reconnect the battery then no warning light and no exploding airbags! As long as you don't try doing it with the battery connected you're fine.

8. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey New Member

Thanks, I've read about replacing the seat belt with an NA model belt and removing the stress loop. Apparently in a crash the mk2 seat belt will give because of a safety loop stitched on and result in your face planted into the air bag, or if it's not there, a metal wheel. Any info on this? Got a raid 340mm wheel coming and boss kit from the bay and a 3 ohm resistor. Just researching everything first.

9. F51

F51 Member

i have an omp wheel if you still want one :)