Porsche Boxter Vs. Neeeeeesan 350Z

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Damien, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Really not sure why each thread keeps reloading an old draft?!

My original question as per thread title... Being that Boxters and 350z's are in a very similar ballpark (and cant really see either depreciation much more) I was toying with the idea of buying one as a fun weekender <note, not for drifting> over the winter months.

Does anyone have any actual hands on experience with driver opinions, maintenance/running costs/problems. I've had a look on google and found most porsche owners to be cuntish without offering much real world advice... I'm potentially looking to join that clique!

#1 Damien, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

Hi, it's Lou. I'm not sure about the EU cars, but this is what I just did for my Jap import. When it arrived, I used a clearance company to notify the arrival for me. The clearance company notified HMRC, who calculated the import duty/VAT to be paid, (which is fucking rude in itself, how can you pay tax on tax?), which I then paid to the clearance company, who then released the car. A few days later, I received a letter in the post with a reference that I now need to give to NOVA to register the car, but I haven't done it yet as I was on holiday..... :). It's HMRC you need to notify within 14 days of the car arriving in the UK to avoid a fine.

You've discovered, as I did, that the HMRC website may as well be written in gibberish as it makes no sense. I tried to register myself as a private individual with HMRC to make the notification, but they said I needed the NOVA reference, but they issue the NOVA reference!!! Frustrated. This new system is horrific, it makes no sense at all.

3. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Wrong thread ;)

Also like I said last week in Saigon its sorted now ;) ...not sure why that thread appeared randomly, maybe a saved draft.

4. Boxertricks

Boxertricks Member

Er wheres the 350z and Boxter?

5. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Fuck knows, edited. For some reason it kept loading an old draft. Original post edited.

6. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

all the cheap boxsters are always blue with tan interior.

I bet if you could vinyl wrap it white for cheap you could flip one for a tidy profit.

what year are you looking at? ive never seen a straight one for less than 3.5K

some of the early ones seem to explode at random intervals with balance shaft problems.

I did look into them ages ago but decided to keep my s13 :wack: as deep down inside I knew I wanted a 993 or older :cool:

7. DoriDave

DoriDave ~~Sore-Arse~~

What the shit?!?!?!!? Who broke DW????????????

8. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Gaz, id love a 993 but they, like many other motors, have entered the unaffordable realm.
    Blue/tan is fine with me. And yes I'm looking at the 3500 brackets :)

I've never driven either and wondered how they perform with the odd bit of spirited driving.

I have an unloved skyline which can fund the purchase of one so would need to at least keep up with that.

9. Elmo

Elmo .................

Never had a boxster, but I do have a 350z and I really like it. Reasonably economical, fun, fast enough to put a smile on your face and cheap to buy.

10. Joshy

Joshy Not Impressed

Too much IMS failure stories out there for me to entertain the idea of a Porsche TBH. Internet scare story or not, its not a cheap fix.

11. docwra

docwra Active Member

Both excellent fun, both fucking bargainous these days as well :)

12. dustyjake

dustyjake Member

Are you looking at the boggo boxster or the s?

13. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

Can you share and porka experience doc?

Probably boggo... 3.2 would be nice but realistically a 2.5

14. grahamc

grahamc Member

I own a 350z but never a Boxster...

350z is a good car, maintenance is not too bad I service the car every 6 months. Getting increased performance out of the NA engine is a pig and just not worth it, FI or v8 is the answer. Nice car to drive, I have an old 2002 Jap model and the suspension and brakes were crap, I have swapped to coilovers and the big akebono brake kit.

Depends on the use of the car and previous cars, my other car is a lot more comfortable so I have a lot of complaints about the 350z, but its really not that bad

15. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

We ran a boxster s as an every day for my wife for 18 months, no significant issue other than two window motes failing, a dodgy ignition switch which would not turn off, wheel bearing and usual discs and pads (very expensive though just for parts).

Unfortunately after 18 months the oil to water cooler failed filling the cooling system with oil. After repair a liner seal went (although I think this was bad repair advice). As the are a c unit to work on I sold it on as is for someone else to rebuild.

I would have another one but I would change the oil cooler as a preventative measure to save any potentially expensive repair bills.

16. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

There is a cheeeeeap 996 for sale with water/oil contamination. I thought it would be HG failing but if the its a cooler issue...hmmmm...interesting

17. David Reid

David Reid RB30 Charger

They are a bitch to do as I had to strip the entire cooling system of and get it degreased as everything was full of emulsified oil and water.

When I reassembled it I was given the advice to run additive to dissolve any remaining emulsion. I believe this destroyed a liner seal as the car ran fine for three days before it had the opposite problem and started putting water in the oil so liner seal/ head gasket, as it still ran really well and didn't over heat I concluded it was a liner seal.

That 996 could be worth trying the oil cooper failure is so common cheap pattern coolers are available

18. docwra

docwra Active Member

350Z - as you know Ive had mine for years and love the way it can be a tourer, drifter, track weapon or smash down the B roads. Too heavy TBH and difficult to get more power out of but for £4K I dont see how you can go wrong, lower it, stick it on some rims and youre away.

Boxster - Ive only driven the older models briefly and they are as you would expect - beautifully balanced, well made but feel a bit underpowered. I have a mate who did 15+ trackdays in an S with no issues other than brake pads wearing out, IMS failure is something to bear in mind as it affects 5% of cars and would write off a cheap Boxster.

I think you might have owned MR2's but Id say that if you havent tried mid engine then get the Porsche, it really is a different experience and rifting them makes you feel like a hero ;)

19. Damien

Damien ~London Folk~

I've had more than my fair share of mr2s from mk1a through to mk2 turbo.

But as you said, I expected the Porsche to be a big boys mx5 which is what attracted me initially... Plus I get to boast about owning a Porsche :D

20. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

My 350z was a bit of a dog and all the Renault parts that usually go wron did but it was brilliant driving car. Comfy fast and easy to drive. Loads of grip and sounds good.

My cousin has had a 2.5 boxster from new ( 12 yrs iirc ) and it's got 220k on the clock and has needed for
    Nothing other than a service once a year and fuel