Best place for trolley Jack

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by gt4tosupra, Nov 21, 2014.

1. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Hey my 1970's draper trolley jack my dad gave me has now took early retirement and is pissing out fluid. Where's best to buy a replacement, that lifts a decent height, as this one was a long wheel base one?
    [​IMG]

2. Ollie

Ollie LOOSE!

Costco - alloy number. Its about a hundred quid, but its low and lifts well. Had mine (and friends have had theirs) for a while and they work. They also do an all steel one which is built like a tank, but it weighs about the same so I would only recommend it if you dont have to lift it anywhere ever.

These are the ones - made by Arcan. Occasionally they are even cheaper ~ £80

[​IMG]

#2 Ollie, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  3. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

If you want the same type they are called 4x4 jacks. Give you same height as expensive once. Cost is about 50gbp at Halfords or a lot less during sales

4. Marg

Marg Member

I've got 2 of the arcan jacks Ollie is talking about. One steel tank one and one ally.

If your moving it about a lot go ally.

Steel one lifts more and is a beast. But your back will tell you every day if you lift it wrong

5. rayman-

rayman- Outtatime

Under a car??????

I'm just kidding..i only read the title,posted..and giggled a bit.

6. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Lol cheers guys Ye my back is actually hurting today as I have to lug it from the house cellar to the drive. Dunno wether to still be a cheapskate and just buy steel again, and Ye been seeing these 4x4 ones that look like mine on eBay for around 50 for a Sealey or rac, but apparently the rac one is made by helka or something which is a bullshit make? I seem to have found drapers modern day equivalent , the tj3ld, which looks almost exact except it's blue and about £55, but it lifts 43cm same as mine, but the Sealey lift 53cm which makes a lot of difference to the driveway warrior of course.
    Sealey £50 steel then? Or of anyone has a link to a similar height alloy one for no more than£70 it'd help my back :)

7. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Lows doesn't matter that much cos my soarer is only lowered a tiny bit, 20mm on supra struts

8. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

This is the spit of mine
    [​IMG]
    And this is the Sealey
    [​IMG]

9. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

dont waste your money on that crap, shell out the little extra and get something half decent.

10. Yeah_Mick

Yeah_Mick Beauty Purr!

if you're carrying it from your cellar to your drive every time you use it, get the arcan alloy one, i have the steel one and i normally get someone to lift it into the boot of the car with me, i wouldn't fancy losing my balance on the stairs with that fucker in my arms.

The arcan jack lifts really high as well.

11. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Think u guys might be right. I'm actually sat here with back pain from carrying it badly yesterday doing the front strut replacement. Maybe it's time to go alloy then eh.
    It has to beat this weight tho. I actually thought this was about 25 kg :D
    [​IMG]
    How heavies the arcan one? Any more alloy lightweight ones recommended?

12. tion

tion Member

Ive got the arcan alloy one.brilliant jack ,looked at the cheaper options but glad i got the arcan .lifts my soarer and my family kia sedona tank easily

13. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

14. James998

James998 Member

Got mine from machine mart about 2 years ago and had no problems with it, not sure what model it is, but it's this one;

[​IMG]

My housemate has one of the costco ally ones as shown above, his is quite a bit lighter but flexes when lifting a car and just doesn't seem as well built.

15. zornyan

zornyan Guest

I wouldn't recommend an all alloy jack for daily use, they can and will flex and imo aren't the safest things around.

I got a steel/alloy one, sealey and it's lifted up cars right up to its weight limit without a single problem

16. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

K guys I'm going round in circles now and ending back with the same one I've had for ages, that my dad's had since the 70's, as its lasted this long with no problems. Maybe 17kg isn't that bad compared to the weights I'm seeing now, and the price ain't bad at £65. It jacks to 40cm which ain't bad at all, aargh but then the extra 13 cm for 53cm would give a lot more room with axle stands set higher

17. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

No offence but if your daft enough to pay 65 quid for those old rubbish Halfords special jacks you shouldn't be allowed under a car.
    and 17kg is light, stop being a fairy and buy a decent one, I have one of the big 3 tonne sealey jacks, all steel and can lift it, sure its heavy but man up FFS !

18. pharmed

pharmed Member

Another shout for the arcan one from Costco. Great for the price and fine for everything I've ever lifted!!!!

19. gt4tosupra

gt4tosupra Active Member

Anyone got a link to the Costco one as this is the only one I can find
    [​IMG]
    This one is not even low at 14.5cm, and is over double the weight of my old one

20. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

I got a 3 ton jack from Machine Mart, low access and a good height can't complain.