e36 spare wheel well

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by zornyan, Nov 22, 2014.

1. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Stupid question really but can't get me head round it.

Basically I want to remove the center "pillar" as such that the oem spare bolts to, reason being is I cant use the spare due to my staggered 18's, so normally carry a can of tyre weld like every other car I've owned.

Only problem is unlike when I removed it from the previous cars I simply drilled out the 4 spot welds that hold the bracket down. But on the beemer it's conical shaped that doesn't appear to be spot welded on.

So before I take a grinder out to it and butcher it to death is there a way of neatly removing it?

Reason I wanted to remove it is the wheel well is a perfect size opening to put in my halfords advanced tool kit and tool bag that I always have with me, and saves taking up boot space when needed!

2. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

just cut it off and weld a plate over the hole to tidy it up a bit.

3. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Aye that's what Im about to do, just thought I'd check there's no way to remove it like spot welds etc on other cars to save screwing around.

4. James998

James998 Member

I used the spare wheel well to carry my big jack around with a wheel ontop of it for a while, one day the threaded 'post' that you're referring to was tilted as the jack had been pressing against it, so i pulled it all the way out. It is just held in place by the underseal used top/bottom of the boot floor. Tilt it a bit and it will snap out.

5. pecs

pecs Member

This is the only way.

6. James998

James998 Member

See my post above, doesn't need to be cut out and the boot floor is thick with like 8/10mm of underseal so would have to be stripped off if you were going to weld it.

7. zornyan

zornyan Guest

Was about tt to reply to this got under the car today and started removing some of the Underseal. It's as you said James it's just slotted in place and there's 3 very small tabs, couple twists and pulls and came out perfectly!