Advice on buying a welder

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Niall47, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Niall47

Niall47 New Member

Getting a bit tired of paying other people to weld things for me, so I want to crack no and teach myself to do it.
    The misses has kindly offered to get me one for Christmas with a budget of around 250.
    The way I understand it at the moment that I should be looking for a gas MIG welder, but most of the ones I'm seeing are either crazy expensive or gasless. Is that just the way of it or am I missing the good ones.
    A nudge in the right direction would be great, just something that I can practice with and and teach myself how to do it.
    Cheers

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Clarke 151 TE - you might have to put in a couple extra quid yourself but it's well worth it.

If you're gunna do loads of welding then a different reg that takes big bottles of CO2 is a good bet.
    If it's just the occasional bits then the little disposable bottles of GAS are fine.

3. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

avoid sip at all costs

I'm selling my clarke 135te welder great starter welder pm if interested.

4. Niall47

Niall47 New Member

Thank you both, think I'll go for the 151 TE having read the reviews. The bit that concerns me is power source, I don't have a genny and this will be done in the back yard. Will it run off a mains power supply?

5. C35Rob

C35Rob Member

I've got a 151 te turbo and its a reasonable hobby welder, will manage pretty much any job you'll do on a car.. and yes, they do run off a normal 134a socket.

6. -sideslide-

-sideslide- "ent it"

yeah have known the 151 to blow a fuse after doing getting hot but other wise yes just make sure you use a good quality extension and unwind it so you have no tight bends in the wire.

Also make sure you buy a auto tint from the word go it makes a HUGE difference as you can see your work piece with the mask down.

7. Marg

Marg Member

looks like you have set on the one your after, now the fun starts, good luck :)

remember shiney metal welds

8. Olliehood

Olliehood Member

I have a clarke 131. Had it for 3 years or so now. Have changed a lot of general maintenance bits on it. Tips swan necks liners ect but it's let down by the fact that you have to use it on full blast a lot of the time and the torch can't handle the heat.

Get a 151. For the extra money. You can't go wrong.