CA18DET or SR20DET? Price guide....

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Retro - Slide, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Hi there, Will be starting my 61' Ford pop 100e at the start of summer next year. And in a bit of a dilemma.
    Do I go for a red top SR20det or a CA18det.
    - I will be going for around the 280bhp mark
    - it will be pushed hard in drifting
    - Needs to be a good deal.

So, price wise. I have seen SR's go for around £800 with full ancillaries, turbo, inlet manifold and alternator.
    And have seen CA's go for £400 with the same stuff as on the SR. So what kind of price am I looking at for one? Would need to have 80,000 miles or lower on it and must not need a full rebuild etc...

I know this has been discussed before but I'm looking for prices and what people prefer now.

Cheers :wack:

2. Jites

Jites Active Member

good luck finding a good CA id go for an SR only because you are more likely to find a decent one, aftermarket is better and they imo are better engines. you get what you pay for mostly.

I ran an SR20DET with T28 for 4 years of solid abuse and still going strong! a set of rocker stoppers, oil cooler and decent rad are all oull need to keep it cool. A remap, injectors (440cc-550cc) and z32 AFM will get you safely where you want to be.

3. StanceChild7

StanceChild7 Member

I know this isn't strictly on topic, but why don't you go for a better and cheaper engine? I'm presuming thats it going to be a lot of work to get either of the two engines you mentioned into 100e, so you might as well use a better engine, a Saab turbo engine? reliable and very good for tuning.

4. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Yeah that's what I thought, every CA I do see looks rough in some way lol. I might have a look into going similar spec to that. Cheers Jites :D

Which one are you thinking of? I'm trying to keep the capacity under 2.0 litre really... :)

5. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Why do you want the Redtop SR20?

6. StanceChild7

StanceChild7 Member

Think the 2.0 is the B204? You'll get a saab 9-3 with the engine for under £200 no problem and make a bit back from the rest of the car.

7. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Just prefer the sound really...

- - - Updated - - -

I will have a look into that, thanks man :)

8. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Takes very little work to make a Bentcam VVT SR to sound just as good, my VVT SR sounded nothing like what you'd expect. In fact, I'd say it sounded pretty damn good! The new setup in my VVT SR will sound pretty special.

VVT SR's are easier to get, and technically stronger bottom end. Plus if your staying standard turbo, the VVT a does work wonders on a small turbo.

9. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Yeah true they are easier to get. Yeah but the VVT rattle on the black top just makes me worry a bit... :)

10. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Find one with a decent sprocket, and run decent oil and it'll be fine dude.

11. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

Thanks man. How have you made your black top sound so good anyway? :)

12. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

A decent exhaust and generic crappy tubular manifold, thats all they need haha

13. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

I was thinking of buying the new tig welded manifold that Driftworks have realised and then a full 3" straight pipe? :D

14. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

So to run a stage 2 Horsham developments ecu chip 280-300bhp I will need to run it on 97 super unleaded fuel? Anybody know if I really have to?

15. eurospec

eurospec Member

Yes you really have to!
    You'll kill it otherwise, although I'd go for nistune and get a map done to suit your car, better than a generic chip.

16. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Yup, always run the car on the fuel its mapped for or better. With my Stage 1A chip, I ran it on 97 most times, but 99 where I could. Just gives you that extra headroom against DET :)

17. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

I will have a look into that. Cheers :thumbs:

Alright that seems like a good idea. Don't know why I thought I could get away running standard unleaded petrol :)

18. Escygt

Escygt Member

You've mentioned sound a few times, if that's something that bothers you i'd go CA over SR. It sounds much nicer IMO

19. Ruishy1

Ruishy1 Active Member

Id rather go saab b204, better engine, cheaper, easier to tune and cheaper to tune.
    and if it goes bang for some reason, you can get another for a couple hundred quid.

20. Retro - Slide

Retro - Slide Member

With the red top I do love the sound over pretty much anything out there. But yeah I do like the sound of a CA. Just finding one in mint shape isn't the easiest. As SR's you can easily find.

A lot of people are seeing that these are one of the go to engines now. I know they have the potential to be brilliant but I just don't have enough knowledge about them. :)