Transporting Skid wheels on eBay coilovers.

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by prblmslvrs, Dec 20, 2014.

1. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

So I've been skidding an MX5 which currently has stock suspension (I believe as they are crusty as shit). Crail and Driftland are about a 300mile round trip for me and I'm normally carrying 4 alloys with tyres fitted. I drove down to Crail and driftland with 4 tyres strapped in the boot and by the time I got to the track i felt like my spine was trying to exit my body from the horrific bouncing down Scotland's fantastic A9.

Looking to sort some coilovers and don't know if I want to pay the extra for dampening since its just and MX5 that's probably going to end up being scrapped next year.

Wanting to hear some first hand experience from folk driving cars with shiter ebay coilovers with a heap of tyres/alloys in the boot to see if its as bad as I would expect as I can't be arsed buying twice if I buy cheap coilovers and its twice as bad and they aren't adjustable.

Cheers!

2. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Done it tons of times on my MX5s, always with ebay coilovers, makes no difference tbf.

3. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Thats good to hear. No difference as in Standard vs Coilovers or unladen and laden? You normally used one brand or various? heard good stuff about the Raceland's on mx5's for skidding.

4. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

I doubt its the extra wheels that are breaking the camels back, what does an mx5 wheel and tyre weigh? my guess would be 10kg each so 4 would be 40kg, petrol weighs like 0.8kg a litre so does having a full tank also make it unbearable compared to running on empty?

5. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Yeah good point Gaz. They're about 10kg aye. Full tank doesn't make a difference, only when I load up 4 tyres onto the boot I get savage bumping from the rear. Thinking about it now though after you pointing that out I'm pretty certain its going to be the wind resistance to how I load up 4 and not actually the weight!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqs8wqcu376td2w/Screenshot 2014-12-21 12.48.15.png?dl=0

6. mint

mint touch my fruit

Which good things did you hear? :p Cause im my experience.. they were shit. Its all down to budget, I used HSD's cause there decent.. racelands are shit. However if you dont care about comfort, or ride or rebound etc etc then go for cheap ones. As stav said, doesnt make much difference and if your used to OEM ones just get racelands.

They feel like OEM suspension but you can dump it; reducing roll obviously. :) Also my advice for you would be to get a mrs, or a mate, to drive to crail with you and take your wheels along :)

LMAO I just seen your photo :p Yes that will explain the ride hahaha.

7. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Good things about racelands = Cheap and do the job. Its an mx5 not a 4 grand S body so I'd rather not drop £500 on suspension on a car i'm most likely going to scrap in a year.
    If racelands feel like OEM but with less body roll thats what I'm needing. OEM suspension is fine but I'm getting quite a bit of body roll throwing it into the big corner at driftland.

Aye looking at the picture now I feel an idiot that I never realised thats what made it so bad. There was only 2 inches or so above the hard top so didn't think it was that bad but will definitely be whats fucking it up that bad. Budget coilovers it is then!

8. mint

mint touch my fruit

Just cut the springs then.. same deal and wont cost you anything :p

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Racelands are way better than cut springs.

Simple fact is, even on wanky eBay coilovers you can out-drift 99% of the cars on the track, and even then it's deffo not the thing that's holding the car back the most.

10. mint

mint touch my fruit

Yeah I was just jesting, Never actually done that ;)

Totally, I ran them on the rear of the last one as the HSD blew up again lol. :p Oddly miss having an mx5 now when I see so many people buying them up.

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I sold my 5th one the other week, massively hugely regret it already.

12. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

No chance I'll be cutting the springs on a daily haha. Think I'll go with the ebay specials/Racelands and just swap out for stiffer springs if needed but doubt it'll matter a fuck at my skill level.

Stav you planning another?

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I'll have to soon as I struggle to cope without one to abuse on the street.

eBay coilovers, drivers bucket, welder, mintfab hubs, done.

Though I might have a bit of power for a change, would be good to not have to do everything with quite so much do or die commitment. A small turbo or a supercharger will do. 170bhp will be fine, fuck, 150bhp will be fine, I just want a bit more low down torque for road stuff so I don't have to be quite so dangerous to do the big stuff I like doing lol.