Magnesium Wheels

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Disco, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Quick one, have seen a set of magnesium wheels which I fancy, I've heard these are dead light but on the flip side, can be prone to cracking/breaking more easily than regular alloys.

This isn't for a drift car, more road/track. Any thoughts?

Cheers

2. ricickles

ricickles Member

Dont bother I had a set of genuine TE37 mags on my supra and one cracked straight down the centre.
    IMO its not worth it to save a bit of weight unless its a pure track car. the British roads don't exactly help either.

3. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Nah it's not solely a track car by any means, more the fact that the wheels are the style I want and in the right sizes for the car. They're only 15's so potentially have enough tyre wrapped around them to give the extra protection but sounds like it's more hassle than it's worth.

4. ricickles

ricickles Member

If its a track car id say go for it, but I only ever used my supra on the road an managed to crack one, the fact that they are pretty much impossible to weld if you do crack one is another option to think about.

5. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Welding was gonna be my next question actually, nice one. Figured they'd be tough to weld.

6. Mr III

Mr III Active Member

Ran Magnesium wheels on my R34 GTR for 7 years that was road/track car, only had a small hairline crack in two wheels. they were 18x10.5j all round and ran 265/35/18 tyres I did around 40k miles on them and I know they are still on the car now.

As for welding I used Ian Jemison Engineering in York, he is the best by far and has always repaired my rims, I have never had them crack in the same place.
    Ian Jemison Engineering

Tony

7. Disco

Disco Hamburger Hinderer

Thanks for the input dude, something to think about. My thinking is that these particular wheels are on ebay and are ex Toyota Works rally wheels so potentially had a tough life...

8. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

GS300 sport rims (TTE Grandstands) are mag and known to crack, R35GTR wheels also crack, guess its a penalty of strong, brittle wheels.