Japanese car registration in UK

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Walluk, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Walluk

Walluk Member

Hi folk,
    wondering what it takes to register a car from Japan in UK(?)
    How the tax is estimated? What are the procedures etc.?
    I have a 1999 Silvia with 1JZ-GTE, that I'm willing to register in UK..

Thanks,
    -Vlad

2. cantbassed

cantbassed Member

First you need to get a NOVA which is free so long as the car is registered with hmrc within a few weeks of arriving in the uk. Once you have the NOVA (Notification of vehicle arrival ) request now so you have it ready is a v55/5 or what ever it is to register. You need £55 to register it plus how ever much the tax is. You can ask dvla but they send you a calculation sheet with the v55. To register you need the car insured aswel.

3. gunnells349

gunnells349 New Member

Curiously, I was just wondering... is the car still in Japan? If so, how much would it cost to bring the car in from Japan? Thanks.

4. Walluk

Walluk Member

The car is in Kotka, Finland. It would cost aprox. 2000USD to get the car there, not sure about UK.

5. Walluk

Walluk Member

Thanks for reply! Will the swap be a problem?

6. RyanH

RyanH Lacks skills

Nah it should be fine as long as it passes MOT. A 99 model is in the old tax bracket so the larger engine size shouldn't make a difference.

It was pretty easy when I registered my 15 from Japan :)

7. Walluk

Walluk Member

Thanks a lot for the info!)

8. TheBeerMeistro

TheBeerMeistro New Member

I know for my 2000 Nissan Gloria HY34 from Yokohama, Japan to England was little over 1000 quid and customs fees and charges came to about another 1000 quid. I owned the car while living in Japan and when I moved out here I was unaware of a lot of things, so definitely do your homework. I'm well over 2000+ quid just into getting it here and being able to legally drive the damn thing. Now I have it posted for sell because a few things came up and selling it at a huge loss. So with that said, people like to talk a strong game but no one really follows through. so maker sure you have all your ducks in a row with the import, otherwise it could cost you a ton more in the end than it is worth.