Buying a car from Ireland ???

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Robbs, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Robbs

Robbs FRANTIC

Pretty sure I know the answer to some of these questions but want to double check.

if I buy a car from Ireland

1. Do I need a passport to go there ? (pretty sure I do)
    2. Can I insure and drive a car on Irish plates in the U.K ?
    3. Do I have to pay vat and import duty on it ?
    4. If it can be driven on Irish plates how long before I have to U.K. register it ? and do I only have to mot it just before I register it or sooner ?

Cheers :thumbs:

2. jincam

jincam New Member

Your insurance will give you 15 days to drive on irish plates in most circumstances
    If the car is older than ten years old no vat etc but you will have to fill out a NOVA form from the dva and a registration of a used motor vehicle form also from them
    you will need the Irish log book in full and just MOT on chassis number then get Insurance on chassis number
    Copy of your paper part of driver licence.
    Do the NOVA process, print it off and highlight the "nil to pay" bit send all this to the dva along with a cheque to DVA for registration fee and add in your 6 month tax fee, or 2 seperate cheques
    Ive done it myself here to bringing a car up to the north of ireland and its the very same process in the rest of the uk from the republic

3. jincam

jincam New Member

You dont need a passport to go to ireland either your drivers license will suffice as well bro

4. Gazelle

Gazelle Well-Known Member

Where do you get the Nova form from??? DVLA???

5. jincam

jincam New Member

No you register online with hmrc and fill the nova form its easy just google nova form and set up a login with hmrc

6. Gazelle

Gazelle Well-Known Member

Thanks mate

7. dave325i

dave325i Member

If your flying over you will need a passport if it's ryanair and aer lingus. Not sure on others. To get the boat over and back a driving license will do.