tow car smokes

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by F51, Jul 30, 2015.

1. F51

F51 Member

Just got a new tow car, an isuzu trooper bighorn, it has a brand new turbo but thick black smokes only when its revved. does anyone know diesels? i've got an idea its over fuelling, so it could be the cold start? or do i need a new diesel injector pump. can you back the pumps off a bit?

2. rtlkyuubi

rtlkyuubi Member

What year is it?

Ring up your local Isuzu dealer as ask them if the injector recall has been done on it.

3. F51

F51 Member

94, are there any isuzu dealers anymore?

4. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

It's probably running a manual pump, so there should be a max fuel screw on it you can fiddle with.
    Might wanna get on the Tropper forums, there's probably a guide on there to adjusting the pump.

You could also get an injector flow test kit, to see if one injector is guzzling fuel or not.

5. rtlkyuubi

rtlkyuubi Member

Ah, a 94. Probably running the older engine. My work became an Isuzu dealer about a year ago. Though we mostly work on the Dmax. Its rare a trooper comes in.

6. F51

F51 Member

looked on the trooper forums and they say to pull the pipes off the egr and block them. did it and cleared out all the oil in the intercooler that the guy never cleaned when the turbo blew, cleared up the smoke a bit (it no longer pumps out thick black smoke its more puffs of black smoke) and it revs much more freely.