Trailer/ Tow vehicle requirements for trailer test

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Lucasdemoley, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Hi Guys,

I know these questions are asked regularly however I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

I want to sit my trailer test, and have available my dads transit which doesn't have back windows and a livestock trailer - would this be suitable for the test?

Reading online, I can't figure out if I need wingmirror extenders and if not having back windows is a problem for the test? Its also a bit unclear if the trailer needs to be loaded with 500KG of weights or if the trailer should just weight a minimum of 500KG. If it does need 500KG in it, how do I prove its 500KG, i.e I'm thinking of just putting 20 x 25kg animal feed bags in it if needed - is that acceptable?

With the trailer width, I'm not sure if the trailer is wider than the van, its probably close to the edge of the mud guards - is this a problem? I also note the tow vehicle should had a thing to tell you if the trailer is working properly - I assume a 2012 transit would have this as standard?

Help with the above would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to turn up for a test and be turned away. I'm very familiar with towning/ reversing (mainly tractors!) and I'm pretty confident in my driving so don't really want to splash out on lessons when I think I could pass without.

Any hints/ tips would be greatly appreciated, I have read up on 'correct' process for hitching/ unhitching ect, and loading of the trailer, but any advice would be great.

Cheers.

2. spaniel

spaniel bigballs small brain

You cant use a van, the tow vehicle must have good vision for the examiner. There I a list somewhere I found of vehicles you cant use but cant remember where, possibly a vosa web page. Do some google searches I found it pretty easy.
    The trailer must have 500kg evenly loaded and must be in bags with the weight marked, saying that my examiner didn't even look in the back.
    I'm not to sure on the indicator to tell you if your lights are working properly but I used my dads 530d which doesn't have one and wasn't a problem. You also cant have an warning lights on the tow car, I had to take a bulb out :rolleyes:
    The practical is easy I your a competent driver and have son common sense, it could be worth speaking to an instructor as there I son silly driving rules that don't apply to normal driving. Like indicating if you go past an obstacle and your trailer wheels have to cross the white lines.
    Good luck:thumbs:

3. spaniel

4. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Cheers, funnily enough I had been on that page about 10 times and never once did I pick up the things about the cars/ panel vans!

Gutted as the van is the only vehicle I have with a tow bar.... unless I get one on my wifes tiguan.... this is going to be more expensive than I thought!

5. big_si

big_si Member

When I did mine last year the trailer had to have 600kg, although might have changed (haven't read the above link).

I would recommend doing a lesson or 2, even if just for a couple of hours, as I had slipped into some lazy habits in my 10 years of driving before doing the trailer test. Just refreshes your memory so you're slick for the test!

Good luck dude, sure you will be fine though, it's easy enough really.

6. Trystan19

Trystan19 Member

When I did my test I did it in a van lol., they supplied it lol

7. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Cheers bud. Looking at option of installing a towing kit on wifes car, still works out cheaper than lessons plus I'll have something to tow with then (although not sure 1,800kg is sufficient for car and trailer?). Pretty confident with my driving, but I guess everyone thinks that lols!

8. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

You can do it off your own back but theres lots to the test that you really only learn when you have a lesson. You almost learn how to pass the test and the correct procedures than just knowing how to tow. I had one lesson then rented the instructor car and trailer. The examiners will perfer that as they know the setup is more kosher. Rather than turning up with your own gear and any faults there might be with that.

If you really want to do it alone id phone the test centre and ask them what you need and maybe you can pop up there and ask someone to check it out before wasting your money and time at the actual test.

9. spaniel

I didn't have any 'proper' lessons but my dad was a driving instructor at the time so I went out with him a few times to get out of bad habits and get some practise. My main issue was taking out of gear before putting handbrake on.

10. Jmc200sx

Jmc200sx New Member

I did my b+e 3 years ago and I did a 4 day course cost £800. I did the test with a box trailer and a ford focus really good viability and the instructer put a piece of tape on the back where the tow ball was on the car so made the test 10 x better

11. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Cheers. Get the thing about bad habits but thinking for the cost of lessons/ vehicle hire I can fix a tow hitch to my wifes car. Most places I have seen is around £400, so kinda thinking even if I fail first time I will know what I did wrong and just not do that the second time!

Your right though I will try and practice a bit. I'll double look at options as think its cheaper with our own vehicle for lessons - do I have to inform insurance if Im learning to tow?!!