Help with importing

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Rorym, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Rorym

Rorym Member

Hi lads, its approaching the time to buy a car from Japan. The thing is I haven't done it before and don't want to use a company to do it as I'm on a budget. it's from tradecarview, I'm sure most of you have heard of the site. The price of the car includes shipping to Newcastle. so once I pay the dealer over in Japan do they deal with the shipping ? Do I just need to wait patiently. Also do I need to pay import duties, tax, cat etc up front or just down at the docks once the car has landed? What is the liklehood of getting scammed ? Is the whole process straight forward ? Im importing because of how cheap I can get the car, but I'm little nervous of importing. Any tips/advice/stories etc would be appreciated a lot. Thanks.

2. Rorym

Rorym Member

Bump Anyone ?

3. spin-king

spin-king Active Member

I was going to do it myself but heard to many horror stories so ended up using opjp got a very good spec ps13 for drifting for 5250 everything included. There's a project thread on it. I did however kill the engine but that can happen to anybody

4. dougie1983

dougie1983 Member

I did the same as spin-king, was planning on importing myself but instead used BHP imports in newcastle, for the small ammount that you pay for their service you get all the haslle of importing done for you.

they delt with buying from japan, shipping, import taxes, customs clearance, mot prep & test, undersealing, dvla registering, and other bits i forget

all i had to do was pick the car i wanted them to bid and buy, pay the bills, and collect the car that was ready to drive away.

5. Rorym

Rorym Member

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price difference between them doing it and doing it yourself ?

6. S14Ali

S14Ali Member

Hiya similar story to the others really, I ended up using a company called driftwizzards, they handle akmost everything and are great value I feel. That said the price of the yen has gone up substantially since I bought my r32. Have a look here - DriftWizards | Auto exports | Online shop | Japan

Very easy process though. I collected the car myself and sorted mot etc myself so makes things cheaper

7. Rorym

Rorym Member

Thanks for that. Think I'm going to go down the route of getting company to do it. Will just need to save some more. Side note: the dealer on tradecarview will not give me a video of the r32 running. so I told him I'm no longer interested haha.

8. GarageSinister

Give us a shout, lots of happy customers, totally honest and can save you some money by ensuring you do not buy a load of hassle.

9. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

I've just imported my JZX100 through Japanese Used Cars... I'd 100% advise using them for a start instead of TradeCarView. You can't get videos of cars going through auctions. If you want that much detail you're going to have to pay a decent UK based imported that has contacts in the region the car is for sale. But you'll be £500-£1000 more than you would doing it all yourself.

I also got the car shipped to Newcastle. When its around 1 week from the docks a company called NSA will write to you. You pay them £125 and they handle all the customs/VAT/Tax stuff. You can do it yourself but its a total ball ache.

Once they have the car around 1 week later you can pick it up. Take some ID and a trailer job done. Then its an MOT and filling out the DVLA paperwork.

Its really that easy.

You can get horror stories but TBH I would use JUC as they won't buy a shit car. They will tell you its shit and not bid. Also, it you are buying grade R cars don't complain about things. They are R for a reason. If you want a minted car buy a grade 4 car.

10. GETitSIDEways

GETitSIDEways Mutha Funka

Not a fact I am afraid, even grade 4's are questionable...We often reject grade 4 cars as they are wrongfully described of have deeper problems when landed in the UK. We have plenty of stories...:smash:

Its not difficult to fool the auction inspectors.

11. Rubix_Cube

Rubix_Cube Member

Fair enough, I agree with the point but you are more likely to get a rough grade R then a rough Grade 4 as R is for cars of lesser quality. I will say some cars are R simply due to excessive mods. so if you want a car like that, decent buys can be had.

After doing it myself, its dead easy and I'd do it again.

12. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

I bought my PS13 from Tradecarview last year and had no problems. It turned out to be the gift that kept on giving, with loads of undeclared trinkets and a pretty mint body.

13. Rorym

Rorym Member

Thanks for all the replies! also has anyone bought a car off the yahoo auctions? There's some nice cars for decent money and I'm just wondering what's the process there.