Foot operated speed controller/ electric motor control

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Lucasdemoley, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Hi all;

I've been trying to convert my son's rid on jeep thing to run on an old chainsaw engine I had. I basically got it all sorted but now cant start the engine (was running fine before). I ended up with a lawnmower engine to use as an alternative, but same story (maybe its me!).

Anyway, I'm not looking at going back to good old battery power but using starter motors/ car battery. The only thing I cant figure out is the foot control, and this not just being off/ on.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of a suitable foot controller I would be grateful.

2. Boss

Boss Member

what sort of voltage is the system running? and what wattage is the motor?

3. MaccyD

MaccyD Active Member

Sounds like youd need an element of control in there, the system only expects to see an on/off signal so a variable voltage might not work that well.

That being said, you might be able to keep it simple with a pretty sturdy variable resistor. To be honest, id have thought a petrol motor would have been easier lol.

4. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

It would be a 12v setup, just thinking on/off may be a bit.... uncontrollable!

Petrol motor, its just getting the dam things running lol! Part of the issue is also the drive speeds of them, which is pretty high. I'll get there in the end!

5. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

You need a clutch set up like you get in the race karts

6. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

The chainsaw has a clutch, but the electric motor wont. Electric would seem more straight forward. Anyway hoping to pick up two engines to try this evening, see how it goes!