RB25 S14 Radiator/Fan fitment options

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Gle36, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Gle36

Gle36 Member

sorry if theres already a thread on this but unable to find the answer im looking for. as above im fitting a rb25 into my s14, engine is mounted on r33 subframe/mounts. The issue is theres less than an inch gap between the bottom pulley and the rad, so i cant fit the viscous fan of half decent electrics. ive seen some people have cut the top bar and pulled the rad 2.5" forward, but by looking at it i cant see how you can cut back into the bottom bar as surely you will get into trouble with the brackets for the caster arms that attach to it? (Has anyone done it this way? some pictures of the bottom bar would be great), also has anyone got any advice on electric of viscous fans? seen a lot on this topic but obviously heat issues will vary on the set up, engine is running fairly high power so i would imagine it will get fairly hot. any help would be great :)

2. Minkjedi

Minkjedi Member

My mate cut into the front bar and moved the rad forward on my RBS14. I haven't had a chance to see what massacre is underneath but will try and get pictures.

Viscous all day though as I think they are supposed to be better than electrics at keeping it cool

3. danny_boi

danny_boi novice

I only cut the top bar moved it forward and managed to get two evo 4 fans in there, never fid I once see the car get hot they were a beast

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

You are right that you need to redo the bottom support in order to move the bottom of the radiator forward

However, people have been able to avoid doing this by just slanting the radiator top forward and running a slim hub - VL Commodore has the slimmest and works well, especially when combined with the gktech fan and RB adapter.

Otherwise, you can opt for a larger alloy radiator and run electric pusher fans on the front. Good ones (like SPAL) work just as well and you can fit 2x 12" fans. I'm using a relatively cheap 42mm alloy CA18 radiator with SPAL electric pusher fans on the track and don't have issues - doesn't get above 90deg C when beating on it, ~78deg C on open road, ~ 82deg C in traffic

There is enough space to run a slim 10" electric fan on the back in the top-right hand side (below the radiator inlet) but i've never needed it.

Ducting around the intercooler is also a good idea too

5. Ikeaaxel

Ikeaaxel Member

I have been running a driftworks r32 rad with twin puller fans directly mounted. Was getting very hot on track so I am trying an r32 mishimoto rad with the mishimoto fan and shroud. Will let you know how it goes after matsuri at the weekend and can get pictures once fitted.

6. danny_boi

danny_boi novice

Buy a KA24 rad from mishimoto it's half the price and fits

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk