Quiet skid practice locations

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by KillboSlaggins, Nov 6, 2017.

1. KillboSlaggins

KillboSlaggins Active Member

I did look at matchams but I thought it was just the oval track with massive steel barriers and bangers haha, didn't fancy smashing up my s13 just yet while I'm learning. Had no idea there was open areas available there, i'll give them a message

Cheers

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Saddened

Saddened Member

I planned on contacting sites, just like I advised OP, for a while and as this thread took off I was more and more motivated to go about doing it.

Hole in one! Sent an email to a training ground 23km away and had success the first time around. In the brief reply he said he has nothing against, everything is at ones own risk and to come by in person. Going there Wednesday.

Here is what I sent him (translated to German because I am in Germany):

Proposal and risk assessment​

I would like to rent your training course regularly, but not for driving in a straight line.

I own an old Nissan I am preparing for drifting and I can not find a safe spot for practice in vicinity. I am a beginner, so expensive trips to tracks aren't an option yet.

Upper part of your training course is perfect for my needs. It is remote, privately owned and tarmac covered. It is curvy enough to prevent a car from moving too fast, yet wide enough to provide run off areas.

I understand you have other visitors and you can not afford your work to mix with my training. I would come at hours no one is around or when the assigned part of the track is closed.

The car I am using is registered, insured and not loud. Noise would not be the issue, especially in wet conditions. There would be no debris left after my sessions. I can take care of extra precautions by placing tires at designated areas. Layout I would follow would be marked with cones I would remove every time.

I have experience with small private courses and we have never had a dangerous situation. I can show you reassuring videos. I would focus on the upper part of the estate to stay away from buildings and traffic signs to prevent damage to property.

It is in my best interest to make sure you are not regretting your decision, should you give me the opportunity. I want to stay off the streets and practice responsibly.

I don't expect you to finance my endeavors, I would however offer to have my car wrapped in your advertisement in exchange for lowered tariff at your training ground. I know about other drivers who would gladly practice off the streets and with your permission I could bring in more customers, making it financially more interesting to you.

In hopes of cooperation,

Matej Jakob
    I stuck a picture of the part of the grounds I am interested in and videos from Ljubljana, where I previously drifted, also on a closed section of a privately owned land/road.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. KillboSlaggins

Good to hear! Now bring the track to the south UK!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. KillboSlaggins

Bit of an update for those interested.

Meeting went well with Goodwood and I mentioned if the track would become a possibility over time if enough interest was raised. Obviously risk assessments and liability insurance would be required (was going to look into a club policy). They seemed keen and open to the idea dependent on times as noise limits are an issue.

I don't think the whole course is suited for drifting as some corners are extremely fast with next to no run-off so I would suggest using a portion of the track being a few continuous corners.

So the question is, who would initially be interested and how much would you be willing to pay for half a days worth of drift practice? This is only a very rough suggestion I am looking to put forward in the future to the track organizer.

P.s I'm testing the skid pan soon as previously mentioned.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Harnell

Harnell New Member

I'm in Crawley so this is close to me and I would 100% definitely be up for it.

As long as ticket prices are competitive with the likes of Santa Pod and Rockingham, taking track quality and seat time into account.

6. Harnell

Harnell New Member

If it did become a thing and people heard about it, it would definitely be popular.

I believe there is a large demand for some kind of skid track in the south.

7. LiamTheBadger

LiamTheBadger Member

Would be interested once I’ve got my car finished or don’t mind helping out marshalling etc. If necessary

8. VAG-Slag

VAG-Slag Member

Always interested in drift days round this way... Have spent so much time sat in the pub talking about approaching Black Bush kart track (Camberley), never really got round to it though! Take it they never got back to you?

Also, not sure if you've seen but there'll be a drift day in Aldershot as of next March:
    https://www.driftworks.com/forum/threads/aldershot-drift-days.266169/

So gassed for this!!!

9. KillboSlaggins

Good to know some are interested, I'll keep updating this thread with progress and see how it all goes.

Unfortunately Camberely declined due to their health and safety regulations? Apparently they're not able to allow anything other than karts which is a shame. I tried calling the M.O.D which was really strange haha asking about Thorney Island Airstrip as that would be the best place in the south coast. I was transferred to loads of different people but ultimately they said the one drift event they held breached a safety act or something so a no from them too.

Extremely early days but a drift day at Goodwood will probably not be to the same standard as somewhere like Santa Pod as far as cost is concerned. This will be a whole new type of event for Goodwood so expect plenty of concerns, rules and developments?

I'll do my best to try and make a good event happen.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Edmard

Edmard Member

Did this get looked into yet? Kart track could be great for more technical skids. Or even the big bit of tarmac between the karting and the oval?
    Might shoot them an email if nobody else has.

11. KillboSlaggins

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Edmard

Edmard Member

13. identiti

identiti Member

Thing is Ringwood/matchams could be a really good little setup with a new surface in the car park but unfortunately its just to rough for me as theres too many pot holes.
    But it is cheap so I guess the track condition is reflected in the price and it certainly makes it affordable for people getting into the sport, but I think if they looked at crowd funding or other means of raising some funds for a new surface and then perhaps increased the cost of tickets it would be a mint venue. But until things change I'm reluctant to take my car there for skids.

14. identiti

identiti Member

I also asked about the kart track but I don't think its going to be viable.

15. KillboSlaggins

Agree with the above, the only thing that puts me off is the pot holes which is a shame as it's close and cheap. (apparently the holes are bad enough to break tie rods)

16. Edmard

Edmard Member

Yeah looking at vids it does look a bit like swiss cheese!
    Gonna give it a go anyways I think. The corner where everyone comes onto the track looks smooth and I reckon if I can strightline around the potholes and do a bit of a flick then pulling fast entries there could be super fun and good for a tandem or two.

17. identiti

identiti Member

Yeah your right there. U can drift 2/3 ofthe track no probs its just the top section thats holey as buggery!
    The cheaper skid cars can go ham all the way round without a care but ive just spent out of loads of suspension arms so dont wana bend those!

18. Captain

Captain Member

Would it not be worth asking them if you could just temporarily fill the holes? You can buy packs of tarmac pretty cheap.
    Even if it was done badly it would be alot smoother than fuck off holes everywhere

19. s14south

s14south Member

People have tried to fill the holes, but it doesnt last long due to people drifting on chords and popped tyres and doing it properly would cost £££. theres a couple of corners that are driftable but yeah, the top corner is pretty dreadfull so i just dont drift that part. its still 100 times better than streeto imo with no curbs or police to worry about

20. Edmard

Edmard Member

PLUS FUCKING ONE

streeto just aint worth it most of the time.