problem with hydraulic handbrake!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by MR-steveo, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Giveitsomebar

Giveitsomebar Active Member

nooo we put serria calipers on our back discs aswell as the standard ae86 ones an used the serria 1's for the handbrake :)

2. Giveitsomebar

raff if i was you after seeing your picture of handbrake i would mount that cylinder up the right way so the pipes come in the top of the cylinder , in your pic it is mounted upside down you will get mega air locks like that.

3. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Raff, if yours is a 180, try putting 200sx rear brake setup on it. I did it last week on mine (got the rear hub assemblies complete with calipers, discs, handbrake cables etc for £20 off a scrapper) and the handbrake is awesome now. I'm going to take the hydraulic one off when I get time, as all it does it sit there looking pretty and getting in the way.

4. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Without any major work, is there any other ways of helping the rears lock easily when using a hydro handbrake?

#24 Stavros, May 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  5. raff

raff Member

ive always wanted a hbydraulic handbrake its not fair!,yea tried mounting it the other way and still no difference, and without a doubt theres no air in it,if i thought new pads and discs would sort it i would buy them but it just feels like shit,loads of people on here have hydraulic handbrakes how do any of them work,do s14 calipers fit on the back? i know id loose the cable handbrake but dont care

6. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

If yours is a 180, you'll already have S14 brakes on the back.

7. Giveitsomebar

Raff dont forget to bed the pads in properlly if you dont the handbrake will be really spongy

8. Giveitsomebar

And The Footbrake

9. Benny Boy

Benny Boy New Member

I have a 180sx and I've done an R33 GTS-T Skyline hub conversion to it I put a hydraulic handbrake in it and have set it up to run dual calipers on the rear. The hydraulic handbrake runs it's own separate line to the calipers on the rear but I can't lock it up I can slow it down and it's been bleed at a shop by a mechanic the foot brakes front and back work fine but the hydro is real hard too pull up, The mechanic doesn't do a lot of work on modded cars so he doesn't know why the hydro wont work.

10. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

Look at which size cilinder you've got. I assume the brake pads are fine, cilinders work properly, system has no oil in it. and discs are clean.

Big cilinder = small throw and low pressure to caliper.
    Small cilinder = Bigger throw and higher pressure to caliper.

Because the bore on the small cilinder is less you'll have to move the handle more to move the same ammount of oil as the big cilinder. But The force you're applying on the handle will push on a smaller area of oil and therefore increase pressure.

11. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Hydraulic handbrakes aren't equal. What one have you used

If you try and bleed it again and there is definitely no air and all fittings are tight (and not broken - yes it's a thing) then switch to a Wilwood 5/8" instead of the default 3/4" size

12. Benny Boy

Benny Boy New Member

Cheers guys I'll try getting a bigger cilinder and see how that goes

13. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

I hope you mean smaller :no:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mister Phil A31

The master cylinder is upside down.