My project home brew RC drift...

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by doninphi, Dec 27, 2014.

1. doninphi

doninphi Member

So after finding all my old RC gear from when i was about 10-12 (now 33) I decided an RC drift project would be fun, and keep me indoors over the winter rather than in a somewhat cold garage! It might end up rubbish, but here goes!

So what did I have, well two 2WD Mardave meteors, and one 4WD something, I say something as I donated all my cars to work (DT teacher) for a project, the students donated a tired 4WD car. They had to make two 4WD off road cars for a challenge, much smaller than 1/10 so everything was cut down, and re-made to the right size. Meaning a large majority of the parts were ruined and as the challenge wasn't the best, we decided not to do it again. FFWD three years and it was all sitting there in need of love.

So, I made a plan on a piece of paper, following guideline sizes for a vertex soarer shell (I asked the seller to measure it). Then stripped all the cars into many bits, decided to go 4WD for a better learner car, and began assembling what I had.

Here was the plan after I assembled the rear diff and bodged together the rear suspension (needs some bolts and bits)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then with the arms adjusted and wheels on:
    [​IMG]

Ive managed to make up the idea of a front end using the Meteor bottom arms, meteor shock towers, and diff and hubs from the 4WD car. The front diff was damaged and bottom arms thrown away, so I had to get creative. Until I've cut a few bits I can't assemble so I moved onto the PC to plan the chassis.

First scanning my plan I traced it in the laser cutter software, then found a basic top down view of a soarer, to work out the front and rear support shapes:
    [​IMG]

Then scanned in my rear diff setup so I could make sure my measurements were bang on, they were. Win:
    [​IMG]

This also allowed me to plan the rear chassis shape, so it's tight as a nut and has a smooth underside to prevent dirt and shit getting in, and better aero (like that matters! LOL)
    [​IMG]

So finally until the front is done, I'm left with this so far:
    [​IMG]

There is a clear weak point where the chassis has to pass the Diff - I'm guessing this is why many cars are either tub chassis, or dual layer. I'm thinking I'll be making mine dual layer. If you are wondering where the receiver is, it will go on top of the centre diff as there is space, and will keep the wiring neat. The centre diff and motor assembly in the 4WD is damaged, so going to use the rear diff and motor setup from the 2WD car, mounted sideways. Win.

Updates to come soon. I hope to have it ready by the end of Jan ish. No reason really.

#1 doninphi, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. doninphi

doninphi Member

So my chassis before people ask, is planned to be in 4mm birch faced laser Ply, why? Because I can laser it to whatever shape I want at work, if I break it, print another.

Ideally I suppose ally or a carbon sheet cut to shape would be mega, maybe if the ply tester isn't strong enough or flexes too much I will make one up, but ply will do for mock up and initial use.

3. doninphi

doninphi Member

Bit of an update!

I screwed up my first shell, oops. so onto my second, and chassis time.

Lasered my chassis:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it's a bit long, so ill cut and shut this one to get the length right then cut again....
    [​IMG]

Shell done and looking mega for a match with my car:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pleased! More to come!

4. doninphi

doninphi Member

Stickers going on:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided as my interior is not going to be pretty to do the windows in grey vinyl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finally, offered up to the chassis:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. doninphi

doninphi Member

Final pic that I took:
    [​IMG]

6. doninphi

doninphi Member

New chassis cut as that one was too long. Got the centre diff mounted. Got the rc gear in.

[​IMG]

Needs the upper chassis layer cutting and adding. I'm going to have a lower and upper chassis for stiffness and also to mount the speedo and receiver on

[​IMG]