R32 GTR 4WD to 2WD

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Ryall, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Ryall

Ryall Member

Ok im looking to get a GTR, but i aint driving round with 4wd :euge:
    He has a control box in the car that turns it to rear wheel drive??? is it possible to do it like that? he says it works.
    If not what are the next options?

2. drifter r32

drifter r32 mentally young

Pull the front prop only 4 bolts 10mins work, :thumbs:

3. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

4. Dex

Dex kut!

control box could work yes. they have SHIT stock steering lock tho

5. drifter r32

drifter r32 mentally young

As the GTR lock is poor even if you pull the driveshafts and do the usual spacer thing it wont be as good as a standard GTST.

to do it for some proper lock

gtst subframe,front suspension,hubs,rack,
    tien rods and ends,tension rods
    or you could go s body front set up

then change the box for the wieght
    its all a lot of work just by a GTST :thumbs:

6. Sweeps

Sweeps Active Member

Pull fuse number 15 - Done - Be not a long term fix but it'll give you an idea what it like before you go all the way with what Gary has listed.

7. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

There's an RB26 powered 4 door for sale on here too. I'm assuming it's the RB26 you're after when you say a GTR but aren't going to keep the 4 wheel drive...

8. Ryall

Ryall Member

For sure im tempted, but i would have to use the car as a daily car thats is sort of the reason that im getting rid of my 180 becoming to much as a track car, and living in the sticks on back roads erm :no:, i aint going comp just going to be a car that i can be sideways in some sort of luxory LOL :euge:

9. Ryall

Ryall Member

But they really have that bad of steering lock :( reason that i aint getting a gtst i love the r32 with the gtr engine oh plus this one has 550bhp and its mint and really really cheap :thumbs: But i HATE 4wd!

Would it be that easy just to remove the front drive shafts????????? with out any probs??

10. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

I have a GTS4 (RB20 with 4WD). I removed the front drive shafts, leaving the cups in at either end to retain the seals. I believe this in itself slightly improves lock, I have 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. The car does drift you can see what I've been up to here.

Ian. :D

11. Ryall

Ryall Member

Cheers mate, if get the car i will do that!! Yeah you have a clean car mate looks nice! yeah and the lock dont look to bad either BUT it aint like im about to try backwards entrys LOL

#11 Ryall, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  12. Tommy Kaira

Tommy Kaira Active Member

I didn't think they were 4wd all the time anyway (ie. not a 50/50 split). Have you driven a lot of 4wd R32s? They are FAR from boring. With 550hp on country roads you'll be thankful for the 4wd I would have thought? Not sure why you say you're not driving around in a 4wd??

Edit to add: If your drifting is at that level anyway I'd go for the car in Mitch's link.

13. Ryall

Ryall Member

Na i dont know much about the r32 so not to sure about the 50/50 split, Yeah true with these conditions as well 4wd would be a help lol i just dont like 4wd not as fun as rear wheel drive!!! never driven a r32 4wd but driven other stuff yeah they handle well etc just enjoy rwd more, like to be kept on my toes when driving.:nod:

Yeah but aint doing comp, with all my other racing aint got the time for it.
    But ill make this car do the same job as his any way just put more effort in LOL i like challenge :dw:

14. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

This is good news as, having driven Ian's car, you won't be doing them :thumbs:

That said, it does a good skid as long as you remember how little lock there really is.

15. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

I believe the car is in RWD until it loses traction and then feeds in power to the front wheels as required. There is a gauge that tells you the torque split on the dash! :cool:

Ian. :D