Register
    'The Vision'

1.5 way Vs. 2 way LSD

Right, I'm having to bite the bullet and start saving for a diff soon. I can only go for so long with a borrowed one!

I know the technical differences between 1.5 & 2 ways, so all I want to know is your thoughts/experiences/advantages/disadvantages with both 1.5 & 2 way. I've done my research into it, I just want to know actual experiences between the two now. Driver feel etc

Obviously I plan to be doing some drifting in the car, but would enjoy doing some normal track days in it as well. The car is an 86 with a basically stock 4age 16v (no uprated cams etc)

Let's hear it...

dorifto kingu!
    I've tried both in 14s grip and drift and I prefer 2ways always but the 1.5 way gave less understeer on turn in in the wet.
    S14 Silvia

dorifto kingu!
    Wow, you're good.

I can't tell the difference!

Drifting Experiences & Practice Days

4. From the Driftworks Shop
    tail slider

My two way in my rx7 is very loud (my only slight dislike), my 1.5 in my 200 sx is very quiet, if your doing more road than track/drift I would go with 1.5
    Regards Ade

dorifto kingu!
    Quote Originally Posted by AdeR32 View Post
    My two way in my rx7 is very loud (my only slight dislike), my 1.5 in my 200 sx is very quiet, if your doing more road than track/drift I would go with 1.5
    Regards Ade

I don't reckon that's because it's 1.5 or 2 way, more than likely the individual diff or the car (soundproofing etc). The difference is when you shut off the power, the 1.5 doesn't lock as aggressively as a 2 way. As I said I'd struggle to tell the difference unless they were in the same car. But both drive better than a welded diff.

Drifting Experiences & Practice Days

dorifto kingu!
    Just get a 2 way and be happy

I run a TRD 2 way in my AE86 and its hardly noticable under normal driving and even spirtited driving , its only when agrevated or prevoked that you can tell its got a 2 way in it ohhhh and the constant low whine but then i have a full stripped interior

dorifto kingu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karan View Post
    I've tried both in 14s grip and drift and I prefer 2ways always but the 1.5 way gave less understeer on turn in in the wet.
    was this turn in when coming off the throttle?

'The Vision'

Great stuff. Thanks for the info.

I think all that was in the back of my mind was that the 2 way would be a little 'harsh' as opposed to the 1.5 way. But I think I'll stick with my original plan of a 2 way then!

Cheers, James