Help with fitting hub bushes!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Fruitbooter, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

Right I need some advice

Im really struggling to fit the bushes in the rear arms and hub carriers

Im following this technique -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the same to fit the insert -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But mine dont go in so easy..I can get the bush in with abit of hastle but I just cant get the insets in..they seem to go in but then as you tighten the washer it squashes the top of the bush and causes the other end to come out a bit and then when you undo the nuts your left with the bush sticking out..

Mine -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive put plenty of greese on and in the hole but doesnt make it any easier...I just dont get it? Im using the same method...

If the inserts went in id be fine I reckon as I can get the bushs in and they fit fine its putting the insert in that messes it up, its like it catches on the bush inside or something as its that tight..

Any ideas?

There energy suspension bushes btw if anyones done it with the same..

Cheers

2. immy21

immy21 Member

Thats the wrong lenth bush, everyone is the shorter one apart from a pair but that doesnt get used if you have alignment arms. Also the lower arm bushes are longer, infact thats what it looks like. I squashed them as much as possible against the hub in a vice and just before I thought they would pop off to one side I would tuck the lip in with a flat screw driver bit by bit. First one was a nightmare, once I had the technique sorted a few mins per bush, I was very happy with the fit, price and quality of the Energy suspension Bushes.

For the insert I just squashed it in using the vice againts the hub (with bush already instaled) and insert, easy

You got a link to what you bought? Looks like the wrong kit if all the bushes are that lenth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 immy21, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

Nah its deffinitly the right kit as I got it of energysuspensionparts.com

They give the bush code and where they fit and ive checked them all..the ones in the photos are the smallest ones and when they go in they fit perfect, its just when you put the insert in it wrecks it.

[​IMG]

Thats what I got.

4. immy21

immy21 Member

What I was getting at is we should be buying the 240sx kit, not the 200sx kit as the yank 200sx is a gay piece of shit thats nothing like our 200sx's, but your kit looks ok I think, apart from being in a different box from mine.

Use plenty of lube on everywere, only other thing I can think of is the inside if the hub isnt cleaned up properly but some of your pics have waay too wide bushes in them, all the hubs are the shorter ones, lower rear arms are wider, front arms are chucky 2 piece if I remember right, as per my pic basicly.

5. immy21

immy21 Member

Infact, it looks like you have left in the inner metel sleave in the hub etc, they need cut out, I used a electric thing that I cant remember what its called to cut them out, a hacksaw also works. I think its only the front lower arm that doesnt get cut out, the rest do, thats your problem:nod:

Also for the subframe bushes keep the full lenth sleaves in place, everything else goes.

#5 immy21, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

Sounds like youre on to something there tbh..I think if I cut the sleves out it would be slightly more room in the bush and the metal sleve should fit easier...

Only thing is that doesnt expalin why the ones in the arms were so tight as they are the same smallest bush??? Praps it needs cleaning up more underneath even though I did already clean it up..

I also made sure I got the 240sx kit mate :nod:

The subframe bushes fit a treat ive already tired, I left the metal base intact and got them to not powder coat inside the fitting hole..

7. immy21

immy21 Member

I never tried the arms since adjustable arms went on the same time but I definatly cut everything out the hubs and rear lower arms, they fitted perfectly.

Maybe the inner sleave is slightly thicker in the arms compared to the hubs. 2 pairs of the arms took the same bushes as the hubs, 1 pair of arms takes the chunkier wider bushs

8. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

yeah, looks like you've left the sleeve of the original bush in there?
    Did you burn the old ones out? If so, you still need to get the sleeves out too. Cut a groove into them with a hacksaw (take one end of the blade off, put it through the hole, then put the end back on) then you can knock them out with a chisel

9. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

Cheers guys!

Yeh James I burnt them all out and cleaned it up thats it, then got them powder coated and the hubs plated.

Im confident ill do it now if I cut the metal sleeve out :thumbs:

Just hope the ones in the arms fit okay when I try again as the bushes once in fitted perfect yet the insert was still kinda pushing the bush out a bit at one end when you tighten the nuts.

Yeh 2 of the arms use the small bush then theres 2 in the pack for the Toe links arms and then another 4 bushes for the lower arms :)

This is the last thing I need to do now to get everything done and the car back on the road so its really stressing me out atm!

Cheers for the great advice :dw:

#9 Fruitbooter, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

Just to clarify which one doesnt need cutting out? One on the hub or are you on about a different part? There are 3 on the hub carriers that need cutting yes?

Which part is the front lower arm?

11. Fruitbooter

Fruitbooter Member

Ive just checked and the arms have the same metal sleeve still in place so I think Ill have to cut them out the arms as well as the hubs...

12. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

yes, you'll need to remove the sleeves from all arms and hubs with the possible exception of the one for the lower arm on the front suspension.