Register
    tail slider

CA18DET Stage 1,2,3

Evening all - Again.

time for my next daft question.

been looking at uprating the engine etc (currently a seemingly strong but standard ca18 with 86k on the clock)

i have a fmic, decat stainless exhaust system and an air filter to fit. i'm sure the usual modifying rule of thumb applies here, ignore manufacturer claims - i'll be lucky to see 10bhp gain... but back to the point.

i've been looking at stage 1/2/3 "spec's" and there doesnt really seem to be straight forward spec. i'm aiming for a stage 3 CA with around 300-330bhp mark for a giggle.

some people suggest a T3 turbo, others an s14 t28 and others an s15 t28r or a gt2871... the list goes on. whats an easily affordable way of achieving this power and someone please tell me what blower is best suited.

i'm hoping a straight forward t28 will bolt right up and offer the power (as its cheap) but who knows? and will the stock sr manni fot the ca head etc and what injectors/chip or ecu or mapping etc etc etc

right, i think thats my headache explained well enough (or badly enough) cheers for any help all!

tail slider
    also have an EVC5 about the house somewhere which may help? i duno

touge runner

tail slider
    i suspect its more complexed than fitting an exhaust, filter, fmic and ebay chip to see a gain of 100-130bhp??

dorifto kingu!
    edited
    Last edited by bodgeabit; 13-10-2011 at 20:46.

LOOSE!
    i don't get all this stage bollocks. It seems pretty meaningless "buy my chip" shite.
    PS13 K's x LOOSE
    UP ALL NIGHT GOT DEMONS TO FIGHT

dorifto kingu!
    My (hopefully) stage 3 spec is:
    300hp+
    Fmic
    Air filter
    Z32 afm
    444cc injectors
    Stainless straight through exhaust no cat
    Stainless exhaust manifold
    T28 turbo with oil drain relocated to face down (the sr20 oil return is different to the ca)
    Stainless turbo pipe with 1 hole filed to fit t28.
    Boost controller
    High capacity fuel pump
    Chipped ecu
    And from what ive read with the t28 turned up too about 0.8-1 bar should get me around 300 hp!

Stage 2 i think consists of:
    around 250hp
    Fmic
    Air filter
    Boost controller.
    High capacity fuel pump
    Chipped ecu.

Stage 1 also not 100% sure is:
    around 200hp
    Fmic
    Air filter
    Chipped ecu.

Basically the stage's off ecu chip are changes in fuelling and air as in the stage one chip removes the factory limiter and adds a bit more air and fuel were as the stage 3 will add lots more air and fuel thus the need for the afm larger turbo with increased boost high capacity pump and larger injectors. you know you cant just bolt on a big bastard turbo an turn the boost up with no fuel to compensate that leads to det and your engine going pop.
    im not takeing anybody for stupid here just trying to be as informative as i can.

There are a few more uprated mods ie big rad ,fly wheel,clutch but these arnt need technically for stage 3.
    hope that helps dude.
    Last edited by LOKISY; 13-10-2011 at 21:35.

dorifto kingu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    i don't get all this stage bollocks. It seems pretty meaningless "buy my chip" shite.
    Me too.

Drifting Experiences & Practice Days

tail slider
    cheers Lokisy!! big help! and as for the rest of you stage haters... i also agree but its useful as a bench mark - no i know what turdbo etc i need etc.

cheers!

dorifto kingu!
    No worries dude glad to be of help and the t28 and t28r are basically the same bar the fact the t28 is journal bearing and the t28r is roller bearing. Its more reliable at higher boost but you pay the extra for it.

tail slider
    awesome - can buy 2 and ahalf t28's for the price of a t28r so i'd rather do that!

"Build it, race it, break it - repeat"

dorifto kingu!
    Quote Originally Posted by Project_Drift View Post
    awesome - can buy 2 and ahalf t28's for the price of a t28r so i'd rather do that!

"Build it, race it, break it - repeat"

NO NO NO

they are a completly different drive! the t28r will spool up so much quicker than the t28 that it makes it a completly different car to drive, after having a t28r i would never go back to a standard t28. i'm sure anyone with actual experiance will say the same.

dorifto kingu!
    slightly different turbine angles and spool speed yea but a big price difference! and he wanted to know a good turbo for getting 300hp for a chuckle so a t28 should suit fine.

tail slider
    my 47000 miles CA has walbro fuel pump, FMIC, scorpian full system standard T25 running just over standard boost and stage 2 chip in the ECU and it pulled just over 220 bh, currently fitted a T28 r and about 14 psi of boost and pulls like a train but still spools abit later than what i first thought