BEE R rev limiters

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by jk_sx, Aug 17, 2006.

1. jk_sx

jk_sx Member

hello, another new boy.....

ive heard people talking bout these bee r limiters, what makes them different from any other rev limiter?

are they any good?

ive also heard they can cause your rocker arms to break, y is that???

any info will be greatfully recieved,

cheers

2. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

welcome but wrong section (try technical)

bee*r's work by cutting ignition and not fuel like most rev limiters , thats why you get the big bang.

they break rocker covers becasue of the shock of the explosion in the engine basically. they also apparently kill turbo's!!!

they are however adjustable so can work effeciently on a lower setting thus causing less damage iirc

3. Alex B

Alex B Active Member

I've only heard of them breaking rocker arms on SR20's, which are known to be weak even on a standard engine.

Alex B

4. boosted drifter

boosted drifter New Member

Invest in a pair of Greddy rockerarm stoppers. Apex sell them for 55 quid a set.
    Beware if your 200sx is a uk spec model as you will have to grind some of the rocker cover to get them to fit. I used a dremel multi tool with a grinding bit.
    If your car is an import they will fit right in with no modification. Your rocker arms are now safe even under high rpms.

5. TwinturboCH

TwinturboCH Active Member

Bee-R's DO cause extra wear to turbo's.

They are basically an ignition-cut rev limiter whereas the standard one is fuel-cut.

On the standard limiter, when you hit the cut point, it cuts the fuel going into the engine and therefore the revs. The problem arises from the fact that this can sometimes result in the engine running lean on the limiter, this as I'm sure you know, is bad for turbo engines as it causes 'det'.

The Bee-R cures this problem by cutting the spark instead, as a result there is zero ignition and all the fuel goes straight out of the exhaust valve.

This stops the problem of det, but creates a new one of dumping unburnt fuel into a red-hot turbo. The fuel ends up igniting (the massive bang the Bee-R's cause) and this sends huge shockloads through your turbo and it's gaskets similar to that produced by rally car anti-lag systems.

The result of this is, after using one on my GTR for two D1 events, the turbos started to fail. I sent them to Universal Turbo's and they said the turbo's had suffered from severe impact damage caused by the Bee-R, result, two new turbo's needed, and that was after just two days.

To be fair, my turbo's were showing signs they weren't perfect and this just finished them off, but it still proves a point. It's a shame i didn't take pics of the exhaust wheel, cuase the Bee-R had blown small chunks out of the blades, and they were steel internals, not ceramic.

My advice, don't fit one. Mine has been turned off since the new turbo's were fitted and won't be going on again unless i feel it will make it more entertaining to watch.
    Hope that helps:thumbs:

#5 TwinturboCH, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  6. Nickers

Nickers Member

invest in the racelogic programable tc kit instead :nod: has a nice limiter built in which you can adjust both fuel and ignition on the soft and hard cuts :thumbs:

7. TaxiDori

TaxiDori BEER CLINCH

tc as in traction control!?

HELL NO!! :D

On topic, i'm very much in two minds about fitting mine at the moment.

8. DriftLexus

DriftLexus BDC Scrutineer

They were so the fashion item of 06

9. Tony200

Tony200 Member

I had one, used it without rocker arm stoppers and broke a rocker arm.:wack:

I replaced the rocker arm, however i was lucky someone on sxoc did the same thing but ended up snapping the timing chain:(.

I then fitted some :dw: rocker arm stoppers and used the limiter for a couple of months with no problems but i've now sold the limiter as i would have probably ended up with an ASBO:smash:

My advice,

Spend your money on something else:thumbs:

They are good fun though:)

10. sideways.taff

sideways.taff - www.tafftune.com -

It did this to the rear turbo on my GTR:

[​IMG]

Granted I was overusing it to scare old ladies when I was overtaking them on dual carriageways...

11. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

All aftermarket rev limiters cut ign tho.

So its no different to any other, just cost more as its JDM Bandwagon Tyte, Yo