OMEX ecu - AE86

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by eight-six, Jan 23, 2008.

1. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

Currently gathering information for the upcoming 20v swap and I am looking into ECU's. OMEX is on my list due to the wide support and also the cost.

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the key difference between the OMEX 600 against something like the OMEX 150.

Obviously the 600 has more features (but then I dont want things like launch control, anti lag, nitrous control, full throttle shift etc) ... so is there anything else that seperates them from a mapping / performance point of view.

All I want it to do is run a 20v, and give me control over the key things like fueling and ignition. At most the 20v will some basic tuning and some lairy cams and thats about it. So would a 150 fill my needs, or am i missing something?

OMEX 150
    Southern Performance Centre - Programmable ignition system 150 Series (Powered by CubeCart)

OMEX 600
    Southern Performance Centre - Programmable ECU system 600 Series (Powered by CubeCart)

Cheers

James

2. kev86

kev86 Member

the 150 will only do ignition, so it would do if your using carbs, im using a 600 on my 16 valve 4age, ive seen it done a few times before and works well!

3. angrydan

angrydan raaage

how much is the omex dude? compared to the vems system, and there is plenty of help around for the vems system, and it has ubber amount of controls to play with!!!

4. kev86

kev86 Member

i piad 1400 euro for ecu sensors and loom.

#4 kev86, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

James I would recommend VEMS over OMEX based on it's adaptability, versatility, value for money and of course the available support from VEMS Zealot Mr Rob and other AE86 VEMS success stories such as Simon, Danny boy, Paz, and Tony (who's incredible VEMS'd 20v KE70 is the best Corolla I have ever driven).

Cheaper too I think ;)

6. simon86

simon86 Member

Come to lydd on the 30th see for yourself how well Vems and 20v's works:thumbs: Me, Dan, brother Will, maybe Tony??
    20v corolla's will be rocking Lydd:smokin:
    Internet chat is weak come see for yourself!

7. Team_Dandism

Team_Dandism Member

Agreed go VEMS over OMEX for the 86, there are loads of them now, especially 20v and at least 2 turbo ones inc my 4AGTTE N2 car.

The cost is similar or less and you'll get a lot more help than you would on the OMEX as so many of us on here already have it up and running.

8. jap-si

jap-si Active Member

not to rock the boat here, but what is inplace if (god forbid) bob drops dead tomorrow and the ecu packs up?

who realy are vems, where is the support other than bob and what if bob is unable to help for reasons beyond his control?

9. Tony4

Tony4 Member

I think there is a good amount of support in europe too.

10. Old Skool Cars

Old Skool Cars Active Member

i have a omex 600 in my car. 4age 16v on itbs with nos and it never ever missed a heart beat.

11. R22helipilot

R22helipilot Member

12. Team_Dandism

Team_Dandism Member

Vems are sold all over Europe and is growing generally with several plug and play systems and maps for things like the imprezza and the like, Rob supplies all the bits you need and makes sure you can get it up and running and is a genuinely nice chap who is very helpful and do his best to sort you out if you are having problems but he doesn't do the actual mapping. which is a very important part of going stand alone. There are now several people who can map vems in the UK successfully with good results.

That said I have had Omex on my carb'd Mr2 for ignition and that was remapped at Power Engineering. They did a good job and made the car much more reliable.

For an ecu you need to look at the total package, can you get a premade loom for your car, is it preconfigured for your sensors and how good is the spec and mapping software.

For me Vems was great value and has proven to give good results. I was going to get an emerald but that would've been twice as much and doesn't have some of the features.

13. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

Si has probably highlighted my main concern about Vems. Just worried that most of the support (within the UK) lies with 1 guy?

I know Vems has been well used by a few guys on here with great results but I am still worried about its realativley low up take, and support within the UK? All it takes is for people to loose interested and its old news and no one will map it?

Who can actually map Vems in the UK? Mapping is something I intend to learn but for the time being I would just want to take it somewhere to get it done.

Price is a compelling reason to use Vems though! Does anyone do a plug and play (no messing about loom) for a BT in a AE86? Is there a freely available BT base map? That might help swing thing a little bit if I can get a plug and play soloution.

Cheers

James

14. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

Simon can do you a loom, and provide a base map.

15. simon86

simon86 Member

Anyone that can work the megatune software can map Vems.

16. simon86

simon86 Member

James Saward map my Vems he had not experience with Vems before, mapping is all the same fuel timing lambda, megatune software is easy to use anyone with mapping experience can map Vems if they cant they are crap.

17. eight-six

eight-six Active Member

Simon, how much would you charge to make a loom for my car? Just so I can factor in all the costs.

18. KGC210

KGC210 AE86 Test Pilot

Just tune your self, only took a couple of nights to do my self, ok I havn't sorted cranking 100% yet but thats because I haven't been bothered.
    Remember you get a wide band with it (If you pay) and just read what it says, increase or decrease the fuel depending on what it says.

Regarding the loom the Universal one ain't bad with some new plugs.
    (Can get the website for you)

Took me a day to put it all together and get it started on a VEMS.

19. Jays AE86

Jays AE86 New Member

so the omex 150 dont work so hot on the Fuel injected 16v ? i want to run like a 11:1 comp with 304 hks cams how will the 150 work out on that ?