walbro fuel pump problems anyone?!

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Nico, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Nico

Nico Member

just thought id ask if any one else has had any troubles/problems with there walbro fuel pumps? because this is the second time a walbro fuel pump has failed on me/broken!

i put one on my ae86, it was fine for a while then the car wouldnt start, traced the fault to the pump not working properley. i removed it from the 86. done some tests on it, and when hit with a soft hammer it would work. it had a loose contact inside sum where im guessing. so i needed a new one.

again fitted one to my r32gtst, due to the old nissan one braking. fitted fine with no trouble, has been ok till now!

when i stop and leave it idling, you cant hear the pump screaming, making this high-pitch noise, like its straining!? ive checked all the pipes to see that there not blocked, ive also changed the fuel filter and rubber fuel lines. the r32 will also get flat spots when driving, put my foot to the floor, nothing happens!? av to drop it down a gear! im 99% sure the engines getting no fuel!?

just getting f**ked off with fuel pumps, surley it cant be another faulty walbro fuel pump!?

any one else had any trouble with them?

r thats my rant over, feel alot better now lol, thanks for reading!

nick

2. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

it seems they either die after a short time or last forever.
    well thats what i have read on the internet when i looked into it when i had one fail.
    just get a bosch 044 at twice the price there a bargain!.

3. Boo_kong

Boo_kong aka boo_kong

do you hot wire them? or just plug in like the old stock one?

4. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

i heard of people moaning about them in the past, but i've never had one fail on my and i know many people that have used them without any issues.

could it be down to the way you've installed them ??

5. Boo_kong

Boo_kong aka boo_kong

fuel pumps are voltage sensitive, this could be your problem. i think there should be 13.5v at the pump to keep everything a ok.
    The factory harness is marginal at best for supplying a factory pump with enough voltage to perform well. i done a lil copy and paste here. i dont know to much about it, i do know however that if your not supplying the pump with anoth power you could start having problems.....look in to hot wireing it.
    also use a tester down by the pump and see what sort of power your getting. i think my GTO was only getting like 10.5v or something by time it got to the pump and this was not good anoth so i had to hotwire it to receive 13.5.
    its also a good idea if youv uprated your engine, injectors etc: if your not getting anoth power to the pump you could end up running lean.

as i said i don't know to much about it' look in to it tho.
    hope this helps

#5 Boo_kong, Oct 4, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  6. mixmasterspike

great reply, very informative

7. sx-si

sx-si anti-copy parts

my last one lasted me like 1.2years but ive had one go in the 1st month too so its hit and miss

8. Nico

Nico Member

ive solderd the conector and wiring on to the stock wires, all it is, is a 12v feed and earth.

mmm yea well its looking like another pump problem :(, are check if im getting 12v to it then.

9. Nico

Nico Member

the think im guna go for a bosch 044, would they fit ok to my r32 gtst?

cheers,
    nick

10. Boo_kong

Boo_kong aka boo_kong

you should be getting 13.5 ish with the car running i think

11. Greg

Greg Member

Boo Kong is right and if you start to starve the pump of current the problem just gets worst as the wiring gets hot. Bosch 044's are great pumps but use even more current than a walbro i run 27amp cable to those as they are very sensitive voltage drop.
    You should hot wire the pump you can use the factory fuel pump supply wire to switch a relay for your new wiring.

You might want to check that the filter on the bottom of the pump is O.K. ive seen lots of people squash these onto the bottom of the tank or bend the pipe as they install them, remember a walbro is not a lift pump it is very good at pumping pressure but not great at pulling fuel into itself you need to make it easy for the pump to do that;)

12. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Spot on greg, i've noticed they really don't like running dry, try and keep at least 10ltrs of fuel in the car, as if your constantly starving it of fuel it will self harm itself.

I do the same as you, i normaly just beef the wires up and use the original ECCS rely as they are brilliant, no drop really on over all votage on cracking either.

It does suprise me how many people run these pumps without fitting FPR and hope for the best, some cars have two voltage settings also, a low voltage for idle, and high for fast rpms.. this is something you defo have to remove as these pumps do not like it.

the 044 are hardcore, they can run dry, starve and just keep on going... only time they die is when there is no filter before them and people let there tanks fill of crap.

Clarkey.

13. Nico

Nico Member

thanks for your info, much apprecieted guys:thumbs:

ive check the voltage at the fuel pump conector, heres wot i got...

all mearsured from the black earth cable, on the fuel pump conector.

blue with red strip, 7v
    white with purple strip, 11.9v
    yellow with blue strip, 13.2v
    yellow, 5.3v

sound right to anyone? when i got the time are just check that the pick up is ok, and not squashed or any bent pipes. I fitted the pump about 3-4 weeks ago, if it was a bent pipe etc, id of thought it would of played up from the start?

i have run the petral tank down very low, so the light comes on, a few times, mayb it picked up some shit from the bottom of the tank?

14. nojjybdrifter

nojjybdrifter Member

oh not more problems nico! when u doinfg my coil packs!

15. Nico

Nico Member

yep frade so:(. coming round 2mos dude, with tools in hand!

16. Vova

Vova Member

Are you sure it's a genuine Walbro, as there were some copies out there before that failed promptly.

17. Nico

Nico Member

hopefully, got it from:dw: so im guessing so .....

still get the problem on and off, cars pulls away fine driving through the gears, then all of a sudden, car just dies very slowly, when you rev her up nothing happens, like theres no fuel, then all of a sudden its fine.

still need help guys, anyone got any ideas?

18. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

what fuel filter do you have? and when did you last change it?

19. silvertop

silvertop der drifte schlag

I know im going to get slated for resurecting such an ancient thread but nico is, so far, the only other gtst owner ive read of with the same problem as me. Ive got a walbro fitted to mine too.. I was just wondering if you ever solved this problem mate?