M60/M62 into a e36

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Mad-Morley, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Mad-Morley

Mad-Morley Member

Just wanted to know if any one has done this conversion and if so is there a project thread on it?

Have heard that one of the main issue is changing the sump for the Alpina, but wondered if there is a cheaper but just as good option, and some pointers on the fitting of the beast/what prop to use/would it have to be custom etc etc. I know all the mounts would have to be custom fabricated/exhaust etc but would love to see/speak to someone thats done it:thumbs:

Cheers:dw:

2. prisspringle

prisspringle Member

the easyest way is to get the alpina bits, but i've heard off them being a bit iffy to sell parts to non alpina car never tryed myself. the other way is having the standard sump and pipe up cut up and shaped to suit. theres a thread on e36coupe.com( goes to a different web address its on there) might be at the top or a few pages back most info on it is there.

chris

3. Hammu

Hammu New Member

At first ALPINA oilpan & pump cost like 1600euros

Exhaust, driveshaft, steering, engine mounts and so on had to be custom fabricated.
    M60 engine is easier than M62 because ECU does not have immobiliser.
    Some M60 engines have EWS II immobiliser, but M62 = EWS III = almost impossible to get working properly.
    EWS II could be fitted easily, much simpler than III.

Not much spare space, but it fits allright.

_smaller.
    _smaller.

"been there, done that"

4. cptsideways

cptsideways Active Member

Is this the 4.0L V8 ?

If so speak to Lars, his is running quite well on megasquirt. Its a tight fit I might add, only mm's to spare!

5. Mad-Morley

Mad-Morley Member

Yeah thats what i've heard about space, only mm's to spare. Only reason i'm tryin to find out is because i work at a metal recyclin depot and have a m62 lump sit there with headgasket gone, lind (BMW) apparently wanted 1500 quid to fix it so he scrapped it:smash:, bonus for me though. Only other problem is its a auto not manual so that would have to be changed and the post above about the ewsIII, why is this such a Biatch to sort? And can it realistically be dealt with?

Its the 4.4 but surely there isnt much difference between them so i'll try and get some help from Lars, Cheers

6. Mad-Morley

Mad-Morley Member

Dont suppose you could send me a link havin a rite drama tryin to find it:(

7. Hammu

Hammu New Member

BTW, original oilpan is a fucker to modify, so i would start to build with dry sump