Hsd coilovers e46 advice please

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Bawbag69, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Bawbag69

Bawbag69 New Member

Hi, can any1 give me a link to hsd fitting instructions for e46. Had mine fitted for a couple of months now and just noticed last nite 1 of the anti roll bar drop links have snapped. I then realised that this was due to the locking rings working loose, the mounting on the shock had spun round, causing the snap!! I then noticed that the camber plate/strut top rose joint is not turning with the steering, the spring is turning, which im sure is why the locking rings are coming loose.
    Any1 else had problems or is there something stupid im doing wrong any help is much appreciated. Jist seems strange the strut comes out thw box fully built up and then this happens?!

Cheers

2. tinker-27

tinker-27 Member

They need to be tighened up !!! With any coilovers that are adjustable you must set everything then tighten fully , on bmws ant other cars with strut type set up use a ally rod / bar or a punch and hammer to do final setting . C spanner is not alway enough !! I've seen so many bmw etc with all types of coilovers have this issue due to not being tight , particularly the shock body to lower cup lock ring and make sure the drop link bracket is in correct place to allow full lock to lock without binding the drop link .

3. Marcar

Marcar Well Spoken Man
    Staff Member

Hello! Firstly, welcome to the forum.

I had a E46 M3 with the HSD mono pros and after a couple of years found I had a snapped drop link too exactly as you describe. This turned out to be because I had a workshop apprentice assist me in raising the ride height slightly on the coils. He made an innocent error of not tightening the locking ring and on a fast corner the drop link went pop. I usually tap the rings tight with a hammer and punch for added peace of mind... but obviously, go carefully with that too!

4. Bawbag69

Bawbag69 New Member

Cheers lads! Tbh i gave the helpful driftworks guys a call and they pretty much gave me the same advice. All good now