Skyline troubleshooting

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by lesleys14, Mar 22, 2017.

1. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Hi
    Would appreciate some help I have 92 r32gtst with boost issues tried a few things
    I am right in saying you can plug a diagnostic cable in and the port is above fuses and is it called obd1 or 2cable then plug in laptop
    Many thanks Lesley

2. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Lesley,
    if you're getting boost issues, then it's likely to be something which you won't pick up on diagnostics.
    Is it misfiring as it comes on boost?
    I would check for a boost leak first by blocking off the intake, pressuring it with a pump and see if you can hear air escaping. If all is well there, I'd check the plugs and coilpacks next

3. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Hi James
    All ready checked all the above not misfiring but when idoling as if it's searching for something don't think it's fuel as got walbro 255 fitted recently

4. Tommy59

Tommy59 Active Member

Do you have a spare MAF you can try?

5. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Hi no don't have spare MAF, but noticed on skyline .com forum somebody had mentioned that guess it's worth trying as nearly run out of ideas and spares are not easy to get ,what about the dump valve maybe think it's a standard one that was on the car when it came from Japan

6. Tommy59

Tommy59 Active Member

If its not misfiring, all the injectors and the ignition system should be working okay.
    I doubt it's the BOV because if the only issue is on idle the turbo won't be producing any boost anyway.
    If there is a vacuum leak then it's likely that it will cut out when you come off boost and dip the clutch, mine did this when the BOV gasket had gone.
    When my MAF was bad it would hunt around for an idle speed and randomly cut out while idling and/or driving.
    Those are all the easy bits, failing that I would check timing marks on crank pulley and timing gears; if those are okay check the CAS timing.

7. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Hi when idling once car has warmed up doesn't cut engine just dips the idle rpm only when engine is really hot after drifting she was hard to start and I had to keep touching the throttle to keep her ticking over
    But the main issue I would like to fix is the lack of power in first and second gear she just does not seem to shift like she did about 6 months ago but will get someone to test the other things you mentioned thanks for all your help
    do you own a skyline yourself

8. Tommy59

Tommy59 Active Member

If it's hard to start when it's hot it might be struggling with compression so add that to your list of things to check.
    Also if you really want to go into detail check the TPS voltage.
    Yeah I've got an RB20DET R32, build thread is on here!

9. lesleys14

lesleys14 Member

Did compression test before Christmas was 1.5 I think in each cylinder which was ok for age and mileage of car
    Will have a look at your thread