Altezza vs Skyline

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Tripp, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Tripp

Tripp Member

Hi all,

After lurking on this site for a while, I've finally signed up as I need some advice and opinions.

I've always like the Lexus IS200 but it seems like they need some extra 'umph', which is then why I have been looking out for a Toyota Altezza RS200. After not finding them readily available in the UK, I gave up and have have been thinking about a Skyline R33 GTST.

I've just seen this Altezza for sale, which is exactly what I used to be after:
    http://www.woodysgarage.co.uk/listings/jdm-toyota-altezza-rs200-z-edition-six-speed-manual/

This works out at about the same price as a slightly rougher R33 GTST.

So, what would be better? The Tezza or R33 GTST? I'll be using it as a daily but I can take public transport if it needs to be off the road for a while. I'd like it to be comfortable, but able to drift casually at DWYB days. Any opinions on cost, mpg, parts etc will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Tripp

2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

There are MUCH cheaper Altezzas around for that money mate! There's one on this forum for £4500 for a start.

Slightly rougher R33 GTSTs tend to be much more rough GTSTS when you start prodding around and you find all the rot in the world which will make you ask why on earth they made a boat out of such low quality steel ;)

3. Tripp

Tripp Member

Ahh yes, the yellow one? I did consider that but I'd have to get an Altezza in blue and a manual, the link is the first one I've seen in the UK since searching which is why I got excited. Now I've calmed and have my head on straight, yeah that is too much, but I still feel an Altezza is expensive considering an Is200 sport can be found for under £1k.

After having an Evo IV I'd love a turbo car again, and a Skyline has always been a dream.... Ahhh choices. I'll just play the lottery and buy both

4. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

If you like R33's have a look at importing one then. Still the odd example in your price range, and any parts that are on it are more than likely going to be good quality (compared to buying the equivalent locally anyway)

One thing to consider is importing an automatic and converting it to manual once landed - you'll want to underseal it anyway, so while you're under there may as well rip the slush box out. Being an auto there's less chance of it being thrashed and higher chance of getting a minter. Parts for the conversion are easy enough to find, and if you limit the mods to exh, filter intercooler you can get away with a small case (ie RB20) gearbox, which is much cheaper

5. Captain

Captain Member

The link to the altezza you posted, woodys just down the road from me and is and awesome guy that doesn't import shit, so it will of been looked after and a decent car. That being said I've found his altezzas among other cars fairly expensive for what they are.
    Altezzas are quality cars but I found other than doing a turbo/supercharger conversion your abit limited in terms of power upgrades.

6. Tripp

Tripp Member

Thanks for the advice. I've seen another tezza manual come up for sale but I think I'm set on a Skyline now. The next question is, is it better to go for a close-to-stock example, or spend a bit more and get one that has had a few bits done? I'm after reliability for now, so I'd just be after exhaust, intake, suspension, brakes etc, nothing too heavy. There is a very close to stock r33 for sale that I have my eye on, but I know it will cost more in parts when adding mods, but then I expect it has had an easier life than others for sale so it could be better off in other departments?

7. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Yup, start with something that is stock as a rock if you want reliability

8. smokey1975

smokey1975 Member

yeah very true i would say all ealy nissans 180sx/200sx/sivias/r32/r33/r34,they all suffer from rust rot issues as i have had all of them even if they are good to start with they turn to mush in our uk rds certain other japs are better rust is a bitch then u get one

9. turbotezza

turbotezza Member

ive had both ,,still have tezza ,,,looking for r34 skyline an selling aristo, ,,go with skyline bud for power reasons

10. Tripp

Tripp Member

An S13 popped up and I fell in love. I'm really happy with it, just need to make sure its 100% OK before I drift it. I think down the line I'll get an Altezza for a daily but for now my banger impreza wagon refuses to die on me and I'll keep it til it needs to go to a scrappy :p