Advise needed

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Bob fossil, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Bob fossil

Bob fossil New Member

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me with a simple query, I’ve got a Japanese imported AE86 which has a knackered gearbox, I’ve got the box out and I’m waiting for a rebuild kit. While it’s out and in pieces I want to convert the clocks from KM to miles, I’m assuming changing the helical driver on the output shaft is The was forward. Has anyone had any experience of doing this or researching on how to do this, I’ve search this forum and many others with no luck, to put it simply I haven’t got a clue.

A virtual high five to person who points me in the right direction.

2. Cades

Cades Member

Pretty sure you just need to fit a resistor to change from km to mph.

Or do what 99% of people do, and not bother. Both mine are still in kmh.

3. Bob fossil

Bob fossil New Member

Thanks Cades, I obviously have overthought the process, I assumed it was mechanical rather than electrical was the way to go and as the gbox is out get it done. For the record it doesn’t matter if it reads right as the Black TuRD spends more time in a state of disrepair than being driven.
    Thanks again tho..

4. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

There's a few posts of this on AEU86.org :)
    You are right in thinking it's a mechanical connection though.
    It's a mechanical cable that goes into the back of your speedo.

It's basically a reduction gear you need to put on it but I'm not sure where you get these from.
    Strictly speaking, you don't need to display MPH for MOT if that's what you're thinking?

An overlay sticker or a GPS speedo will sort you out :)
    OR, learn KM - unfortunately I had to do this as I was stopped as the officer thought I was driving too slowly so was drunk/stoned (had an overlay sticker that was poorly attached so was displaying low).